Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two young fellers I go to church with came down yesterday. The oldest one is 17 and finer kid you wont find, works at Wal Mart after school and on weekends. He loves to hunt about as much as anyone i have ever known, and he killed his first ML deer with me last year. I had gotten him a deal on a ML online, scope and all, and got him all the components he needed from my stash, and all the little tools to make a ML run and put it together in a tackle box. His little brother is a great kid too12, and he is a pistol. I lined up the the older ones new ML in 5 shots and the next 3 went into a cloverleaf at100yds, with him shooting the TC Impact. The younger one asked me about a 30/30 I had in the shop, a 1948 Marlin with peep sights, and a 26" barrel, with very fine silver bead. He also eyed a Remington Roller in 8x58R and a Trapdoor 45/70 made in 1884. I had him tote the guns and ammo outside, and put some quart oil can and pop cans out in the field, from 90 to 150 yds. I was running 11 grs of Unique behind a 170 gr .30 cal cast slug in the 30/30, 1600fps, recoil like a .22LR. Neither one had shot sights much, but they quickly caught on to the peeps and both went 6 for 6, never missed anything they called the shot on. Then they shot the 8x58 Rolling block, with a 245 gr cast, and they both shot it as good or better than the 30/30, again due to very fine sights. The last one was the trapdoor, with 350 gr loads, and they both flinched from it expecting it to kick, on their first shots. The second shot they were spot on and each thought the trapdoor action was neat. The younger one asked me what i would take for the 30/30, I told him sorry but it was not for sale, but I told him to get his brother to bring him down anytime and there would be ammo waiting for him to burn. He liked the sound of that and said his brother would not be leaving him at home anymore. Both of them could not believe how good the guns shot with iron sights. I showed them how much smaller they were, than on sights put on guns today, about 4x smaller, and covered up less of what you were shooting at. The boys had a good time, but I believe I had the best time. Just thought I would share.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
That’s the best way to get them hooked. Make it fun for them and they will naturally want to learn more about it. The shooting sports could use more ambassadors like you Sam.

·
Registered
6,371 Posts
I agree with all the praise already mentioned, Sam. I will add that in my humble opinion, money spent on ammo for sessions such as this is much better spent than with the NRA or any other 2A organization. Not meaning to bad-mouth them, I'm just saying I think the money is better spent introducing young folks to our sport/tradition. You are more than doing your part and I'm proud to call you friend. As I'm sure you're aware, you don't have to do all the lifting. We've had many projects on GoGo where someone wanted to set a kid up with a hunting rig and posted the parts that were still missing. Those of us who have hunted, shot benchrest and reloaded for years have all sorts of good quality gear that we just don't have plans for. How's that line go: Ask and ye shall receive?

·
Administrator
3,413 Posts
You had a Wonderful Day and made it a Wonderful Day for two youngsters! I wish there were more like you who do wonderful things like this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts