Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
Went out this morning to check my bobcat traps and coyote snares. Had a heck of a suprise. Trapped a male coyote in an uncovered #3 steel trap. Normally (if not always) you need to cover and disguise a coyote trap very well. It should look exactly like the surrounding ground. For bobcats you can leave the pan uncovered as they will be looking for a smooth place to step. Why this coyote hit the open trap is a mystery. The only thing I can think of is that the lure I am using really turned his crank. Probably never get photos of a coyote in a trap in a cave ever again. I took alot of them.
Never say never.

Good hunting,
Kirk

·
Registered
272 Posts
Why don't you call instead of trap? Seems like calling is more sporting and exciting...maybe I'm missing something.

I'm not opposed to trapping if the population gets too large, but otherwise it seems unsportsman like.

Good hunting,

Steve

·
Registered
352 Posts
Rebel, you are 100% correct. Coyotes are very keen & savvy animals, and difficult to trap successfully. Finding one in an uncovered trap is a puzzlement. This begs the question, what kind of lure were you using? And did you take any digital photos that you can post?

Also, don't pay any attention to criticisms of trapping from people who know nothing about it and perhaps gained their knowledge of nature from Disney animations. On average, trappers are far more knowledgeable about wildlife and nature in general than the thousands of armchair hunters and opening weekend know it alls. As you probably know, trapping requires tremendous skill and knowledge of habits and behavior of wildlife that may take years of actual field experience to gain.

Keep trapping and learning as all good trappers do. You are already way ahead of the hordes of suburbanite gun rag readers and deluded nature documentary afficionados.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Brilliant generalizations Theo!

I made a comment and asked a question...perhaps with some insight I might change my tune. Until then...well, you seem to fit the bill for the first half of assume.

I'd love to be enlightened, thus my obvious criticisms and question. My comments would seem to represent what a trapper can expect to encounter for initial criticism. Rather than throw mud at my admitted lack of knowledge, you could educate; however, I suspect that's beyond your intellectual capabilities.

Please, prove me wrong.

·
Registered
49 Posts
You caught my eye with that unusual catch title.

It instantly brought to mind a 2lb catfish I caught in a 110 conibear on a muskrat den set, I wished I had a pic of that :D

It sounds like you caught him with his guard down., good job!

Land trapping was always difficult for me during my trapping career in my early teens, I could never keep the possums out of my sets. I was pretty successful on mink, muskrat, and ****. I still trap beaver once in a while when a friend asks.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
tripped a trigger

Steve,

You tripped the trigger of one of the most knowledgeable hunters/trappers on the board. I have known Theo for ten years or so. He has been a government trapper and hunter and performed other activities for a living that most of us would pay thousands just to be able to do. He is also one of the quietest and most unassuming members of the board as a general rule as well as one of the best writers on the board when he can be persuaded to put together an article.

You have called him an ass and questioned his intelligence. I have to say that does leave you the one looking like an ignorant ass for making such a post about this particular poster.

Hu
(edit corrected a typo)

Brilliant generalizations Theo!

I made a comment and asked a question...perhaps with some insight I might change my tune. Until then...well, you seem to fit the bill for the first half of assume.

I'd love to be enlightened, thus my obvious criticisms and question. My comments would seem to represent what a trapper can expect to encounter for initial criticism. Rather than throw mud at my admitted lack of knowledge, you could educate; however, I suspect that's beyond your intellectual capabilities.

Please, prove me wrong.

·
Registered
352 Posts
CGSteve, Which category are you applying for?

Please, prove me wrong.
Since you really seem to have taken my comments to heart, I guess I should know something more about your level of ignorance. Which generalization do you think you most identify with?

1). ...gained your knowledge of nature from Disney animations?
2). ...an arm chair hunter?
3). ...an opening weekend know it all?
4). ...a suburbanite gun rag reader?
5). ...a deluded nature documentary afficionado?

I notice that you made a judgement about trapping being unsportsmanlike BEFORE you admitted a lack of knowledge about it. And I was non-plussed initially by your assertion that my intellectual capabilities are lacking, but then I remembered that your modus operandi is established in your posts. It is to make rash assertions, then appeal for facts afterward. I think that sequence of speaking/reasoning "fits the bill" of the first half of assume very well.

·
Registered
169 Posts
CG Steve: This opinion is worth what I`m gonna charge you for it

If this liberal state (read I-5 corridor; Seattle, Tacoma, Olympia , Vancouver) had not voted trapping out of existance, I`d still trap part time.

In MANY states, one must have training and pass tests to be able to trap. I don`t know of a state that requires prospective hunters to pass skill testing, tho` there my be one.... I wonder how many "SPORTSMEN" out there can pass the tests that would be required if hunting and trapping requirements were on a par? Running boar at 100 yds? Required in MANY euro countries. I bet 1 in 25 could pass it. Look up the requirements in Finland.

Point is, any tomdickorharry can buy a license and tag and go hunting.

I have yet to meet a trapper that did not have an undying respect and admiration for wildlife. A respect bourne of knowlege gained in the field, not in front of a tv playing disney reruns. I have never met a trapper that was not as humane as possible to every animal he caught. I have a lot more respect for the average trapper than the average "hunter" by a damn sight. No need for me to list the atrocities that are performed by hunters and televised by the media so often.

I`ve fished and hunted for 45 years now and trapped part time a couple years. I wish I had the know how of the guys that have trapped for 20 years.
Sportsmanlike? Hmmm, what is the definition of that? I submit to you that the bunny huggers definition of sportsmanship is different than yours, or mine, or our trapper FRIENDS.

We are friends here, tho` we may not all agree on everything. But to judge before you learn is not sportsmanlike, and it weakens our bond as fellows in a fraternity that others would love to destroy.
Welcome to the campfire, grap a cup and join in the b.s. session. Yer with friends.
Cheers,
Bear-ly awake after all that...;)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Steve,

You tripped the trigger of one of the most knowledgeable hunters/trappers on the board. I have known Theo for ten years or so. He has been a government trapper and hunter and performed other activities for a living that most of us would pay thousands just to be able to do. He is also one of the quietest and most unassuming members of the board as a general rule as well as one of the best writers on the board when he can be persuaded to put together an article.

You have called him an ass and questioned his intelligence. I have to say that does leave you the one looking like an ignorant ass for making such a post about this particular poster.

Hu
(edit corrected a typo)
Hu,

Although I usually have a deep respect for your opinions and thoughts, I must dismiss them in this case. I posted a reply that signaled a definite lack of information and did so in such a manner that invited those better versed to educate. It certainly did not warrant the reply above that was ripe with innuendo aimed at me.

Typically, I don't make it a habit to call out someone's intellectual ability. I felt as though your friend overstepped his bounds with his comments and I responded likewise.

I will agree that my "assume" comment was bad play on my part. With that said, his method of referring to my "education" was equally in bad taste.

Respectfully,
Steve

·
Registered
272 Posts
Since you really seem to have taken my comments to heart, I guess I should know something more about your level of ignorance. Which generalization do you think you most identify with?

1). ...gained your knowledge of nature from Disney animations?
2). ...an arm chair hunter?
3). ...an opening weekend know it all?
4). ...a suburbanite gun rag reader?
5). ...a deluded nature documentary afficionado?

I notice that you made a judgement about trapping being unsportsmanlike BEFORE you admitted a lack of knowledge about it. And I was non-plussed initially by your assertion that my intellectual capabilities are lacking, but then I remembered that your modus operandi is established in your posts. It is to make rash assertions, then appeal for facts afterward. I think that sequence of speaking/reasoning "fits the bill" of the first half of assume very well.
Theo,

Clearly you sport a well versed vernacular and are quite handy with it. Unfortunately, it calls into question your comprehension skills.

I tell you what...let's get down to brass tacks and find the true content of this "discussion". You insulted me with your innuendo laden remarks and I responded. Instead of educating, you chose to insult...again. At some point, you become less a solution to the problem and more the opposite. I've begged for education on this topic and yet to get anything from you other than continued insults.

When you're ready to act like the expert you are, I'm all ears. Until then...

Regards,
Steve

·
Registered
299 Posts
..When you gents get thru with your "discussion"..

.. Maybe I could hit some of ya up for info on how a fella starts into snaring for coyote.? I've been interested in it for a while but I have several complicating issues in the places I need to work with and would like some help from those more experienced.. Thanks.!! d:^) Jake

jakeATncvarminterDOTcom

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'll skip the verbal acrobatics Varmint Al help me with the math.

I can tell you that trapping is hardly unsporting. I've trapped and I've hunted and I can tell you, a trap in the hand of the average Joe is about a worthless and handing me the keys to the Space Shuttle. To think that someone (the trapper) can be that arrogant that he thinks that he can set a 4"X4" trap on this earth a coyote will step in it. HMMMMM let me ponder??? The trap is 4X4, which is 16sq. inches, you can fit 9 of them in a sq. foot, and I think there is 56,000 sq. feet in a acre and 640 acres in a sq. mile and 196,940,400 sq. miles on Earth. THAT TRAPPER IS EITHER THE DUMBEST PERSON ON EARTH OR THE MOST SPORTING MAN THAT EVER WALKED IT. Did I mention most trappers can tell you which foot the plan on catching? On the other hand I called in and killed a coyote on my second or 3rd try.
________
smoking kills

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I call all the time. I have a limited amount of time to get fur. Why not use all the tools. I also run snares.
Kirk

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you for the reply. I would rather not divulge my lure over the net. I took photos with my 35mm camera. Will try to post them in the future. You are welcome to call or e-mail and we will talk lures and trapping.

Cell phone: 208-313-0857
E-mail: [email protected]

Thanks again,
Kirk

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Come on GUYS we don't need this kind of stuff here. I have had things said to me here that I didn't like and have always tried my best just over look them. I know that it's hard to do sometimes . And I know that I should stay out of this, but I'm here to make friends and not enemies.
Art

·
Registered
8 Posts
You have got to be kidding

:mad: I just realized why I don't go on these boards anymore,It is bad enough when non-hunters argue with each other but this is just plain ridiculous.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Trapping Education

Steve,

I doubt that an education about trapping can happen on an internet
forum. Your appreciation for the excitement for trapping has to
come from actually doing it. I ran my first trap line at the tender age
of 12 years old. I looked a sight, since that family heirloom trapping
basket hung low from the weight of traps, lure, rubber gloves, and
on good days, dispatched critters. But I was young, proud, bullet
proof, and very ignorant. Nature is the best class room, and I picked
up fairly well. My father tried to pass on his wisdom, but I was SOOO
much smarter(not). It took me finding my own sets sprung, or empty,
or along with a very hollow feeling, holding a foot, to learn to trap, and
to find that excitement that you think only comes with hunting. Don't
get me wrong, I love to call, but I also know that there is even more
skill, excitement, and sense of woodsmanship that comes with
trapping. As I read your post, the first thing I thought was here is an
ignorant post. Sorry guy, you are not standing on any moral high ground,
as I see it, with the attitude that came across in your post. Trapping
takes much more skill than sitting behind an electronic caller, with a
high powered rifle, and it makes one a much more knowledgeable,
and conscientious, member of the great outdoors.

Squeeze

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
CGSteve, Some of us trappers really don't look at trapping as a "Sport". In my own personal view, as a Farmer, it's a "Harvest" although checking traps can have the Sportsman effect of catching a critter be it with rifle, bow, trap or pole. Good trappers buy a trap, modify it by putting swives in the right place, widening jaws, redoing the trap pans and dogs, dying & waxing them and whatever else it takes to cleanly take an animal that might be worth $500 to them. We trap a renewable resource and in the process, hopefully keep nature at a balance. Sorry to see you get flamed a bit but some of these guys have been looked down on and pushed around by other "Sportsmen" and after awhile, we get sorta "Testy". Godsdog.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts