Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been looking for a new england handi rifle for coyote hunting. i use a ruger m77 22-250 right now but it's too heavy for a walk around rifle. when coyote hunting you rarely get more than one shot so i figured a single shot rifle would be fine. i dont know anyone with one so i was just wondering how accurate and reliable they are.
Eric

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have an SB2 Handi-Rifle in 223.

It is extremely accurate. I'm currently sending in the Receiver so a second barrel can be fitted. This one will be a 500 S&W.

For the money they are fantastic. Only drawback is single shot, but I was raised hunting quail with an old Stevens Breakover 12 guage. I learned how to rapid reload.

Check out H&R's Barrel Program. You can get alot of calibers fitted to a single receiver/frame.

·
Registered
14 Posts
my .223 is good for about 1 to 1 1/2 in at 100 yds. There are sites dedicated to making them more accurate. In my experience, this is about as good as it gets with these. If you need more accurate, and I don't think you do for coyotes, or if you want a repeater, look at a savage/stevens bolt action. One thing to consider, the .223 handi rifle is a slow twist and will not stabilize heavier bullets very well. Also, they can get sticky chambers and may require a cleaning rod to get a stuck case out, especially with steel or high pressure loads (ie surplus).

·
Registered
751 Posts
They can be made to "shoot", but it's expensive and they still aren't as good as a new $300 Stevens.....

The triggers are horrid to put it mildly. And as the other poster said, they don't like warm loads, even warm factory loads.

I bought one for my 15yr old grandson and it's a decent 1st firearm.

Past that, I wouldn't waste my money.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Well, actually they have a good rep in .223. My bro has one that will group 3/4" with factory reloads. A $200 rifle with a $475 Leupold Vari-X III 6.5x20x40mm makes a heck of a combination (for him). Personally...I'd spend the money on an Encore and have the best of the break actions, AND the interchangability of barrels (w/o having to send it to the factory to be fitted).

YMMV,

P.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
I owned one for a while, a 223. Matter of fact I took it on my first prairie dog trip. Yeah, it was accurate enough to shoot dogs at reasonable differences.
The thing is, there was no real pleasure in shooting it. It was ugly, didn't handle very well and had to be repositioned after every shot since it was a break open. Unless you buy one used, you will have trouble getting your money out when you sell it.

I wouldn't waste my money on another. If you want a break open single shot, take Paul Workman's advice and get an Encore for a few more dollars. ...accurate, handles well, hold's it's resale.

YMMV,
Rick

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I've had several...

I owned one for a while, a 223. Matter of fact I took it on my first prairie dog trip. Yeah, it was accurate enough to shoot dogs at reasonable differences.
The thing is, there was no real pleasure in shooting it. It was ugly, didn't handle very well and had to be repositioned after every shot since it was a break open. Unless you buy one used, you will have trouble getting your money out when you sell it.

I wouldn't waste my money on another. If you want a break open single shot, take Paul Workman's advice and get an Encore for a few more dollars. ...accurate, handles well, hold's it's resale.

YMMV,
Rick

...and I think you put it well. I'd have to agree. Go spend a few more $$ and get a bolt rifle or something you'll be more proud of.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have one in a syn stock 223 that cost me 180 bucks some odd years back. Sent it in for 4 more barrels and a *free trigger job*.

The trigger did not change much but I think it did lower it to around 4.5 lbs.

The light 22 hornet barrel is awesome! Barrel feels rough but it never fouls bad and has liked to shoot anything I put down it well. (it would easily out shoot my 77/22 Hornet)

The original .223 barrel shot ok right at 1” but it was a lot fussier about what bullet/powder combo I loaded up.

The .243 has never shot all that great maybe 1.5” but I have mostly shot light bullets and wonder if a little heavier bullet would group better???

I have never shot the 44 mag or even can remember what the last barrel I got???

The 22 H, 223 and 243 have all stuck a case from time to time and that is my biggest complaint. The other is the ejector but I have since modified them to extractor…..

I sure like it with the hornet barrel makes a lightweight beater gun…

I also shoot a couple contenders and have way too many barrels for them. I like a contender better but they can have their own little quirks sometimes as well.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I think the Handi's are OK BUT , the Steven's model 200's seem to be a better deal . I work at a local gunshop part time and they sell the Handi's for something like $219 and they sell the Stevens for $259 . For $40 more , you could get a bolt action repeater . I feel that the Stevens 200's are the best bang for your buck out there right now . Just my opinion though

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Handi rifle

EricinKY

I just have one and I tell you there are no small groups out of this thing ever. But I've learned to live with it since its a .410. Great grouse gun.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Mine is the heavy Bull barrel NEF, in .223

and it shoots very well. It has the wood stock and forend.

I only shoot Federal 50 gr HP factory ammo in mine,
and I can hit a California ground squirell at 150 yards.... "everytime",
at 200 yards, I can only get about 3 outta 4....a California ground squirell is the same size as a Grey squirell or a Red Fox squirell.
This is shooting with a Harris bipod and a small bag under the rear of the stock, and I have a Leupold Vari-X II 3X9 scope on it...

I took mine to my local gunsmith,and paid him $35 bucks to tune up my trigger, this really made a difference with the smoother and lighter trigger.

I tried to make it shoot better with different reloads and it didn't help, so I just ordered some Federal factory ammo from D and R sports in Pennsylvania.

I bought the NEF rifle to carry on my dash board when I am hunting on big ranches here in Northern California, and I have killed several coyotes with it
shooting out of the truck window..

I agree with you, it will make a nice inexpensive calling rifle..and I think you will like it..it just a cheap little rifle, but it's pretty fun to shoot.

Harry

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Have owned 2 in 223

Yes the NEF will work for coyotes but dang man they are butt ugly,ruff chambered,clumsy to load,need trigger work and just plain don't fit right IMHO.
Had a heavy barrel and a lite barreled 223.The heavy NEF shot great,½" or so with ammo it liked.The lite barrel shot right at an inch but muzzle jump was nasty!!! I still have a NEF in 12 and 20 ga but I ain't NEVER buying another NEF rifle.A used Encore can be had for a little more if you gotta have a single shot and the Encore is twice the gun!
In todays market they make no sense!!! If your looking for lite,the Stevens can be had for $275 out the door and will outshoot the NEF in all respects.A CZ can be had for less than $500 and is an heirloom waiting to happen=my daughter has already claimed mine :D

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Eric I think you got a fair concencess on the handi rifle. I have one in 22 hornet and I like it but the trigger has been redone and the brass sticks sometimes but I've killed ghogs out to 310yds with it. But I probably would not buy another one because I can buy a bolt gun for a little more as already said.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I have shot several of them, although none were mine. Most where bought for a young man's first rifle to keep the price down. 223s always have extracting problems if you don't watch what ammo you use. It works best if you use small base resizing dies and reduced loads. Accuracy was normally poor on all the ones I ever saw, they might get 1 inch groups on a good day 1 1/2 inch groups are more common. Also most young owners of this rifle have a tendency to want to use the scope as a handle to close the action. This is not condusive to accuracy and also not good for the scope either.

·
Registered
67 Posts
handi

Boy, i must of got lucky with my son's .243. Trigger is fine,crisp and i would guess 3-4lbs, plenty light enough for a deer rifle. Haven't really shot it much but after sighting in I would guess 1" to 1 1/2" with 3 differant factory loads so far. It did cost a little over 200.00, try to even buy a encore barrel for that. This one has the laminated stock and bull barrel, possibly a Ultra model.

·
Registered
735 Posts
They're probably worth the money, but that's not saying very much because they don't cost very much. The whole gun costs less than a new barrel blank. Undoubtedly a few out there shoot acceptably well, but don't expect yours to be very accurate. They're a cheap crude ugly rifle and I wouldn't even want one unless it was maybe to leave in a tractor or behind the seat of a farm truck.
Remember....cheap may be tempting, but you'll be living with it every time you handle that thing and with every shot.

·
Registered
785 Posts
H&R Ultra

I have a H&R Ultra Varmint with a heavy .223 barrel & a light .22 Hornet barrel that the factory fitted. I had the "trigger job" done and changed the ejector to extract.
The .223 shot pretty well with Winchester White box 45 grainers, around an inch. I tried about a dozen different hand loads in the Hornet but couldn't find anything that would do better than 1"-1 1/2".
The trigger is better but still needs work. I have had a case or two stick but I am told it is fairly simple to polish the chamber a bit.
My Gunsmith will be putting this two barrel rifle up for sale on Gun Broker in a few weeks if you are interested.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Some are good, some are pure crap.......

I have worked with 4, two shot well the other two were tent stakes.

I think that you are rolling the dice when you buy one. 12 lb trigger does not help at all.

To me, they are not that light, either. You would be ahead to buy a synthetic stock for your 77.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
243 Posts
About the same experience as Keith

I've never owned one but have shot several.

A couple had a lucky combination of barrel and trigger and would shoot a little under 1 MOA-----the rest of the guns had marginal to terrible accuracy and some had so much trigger pull weight that accuracy was impossible.

Buying one of these guns NIB would be a crap shoot. If you just have to have one, you might consider one you could shoot to check out the trigger and accuracy.

A. Weldy

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.