Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Back when I was dating my wife.....

they had a yote that had moved in with the yard dogs out on the farm. Interesting relationship. They all tolerated each other.

Mutt, the yotes name, took to the kids like a duck to water. They treated it like just one of the dogs and it was extremely protective of all the kids.

It breed with elder sisters female German Shepard when it was being kept there while Brother In Law was in Okinawa. Lovely pups but the mixing nearly killed the female. I took one with me back to Barstow when I returned off leave, and a neighbor promptly fed it chicken bones which killed the pup.

I have never heard of any yote becoming as domestic as Mutt, but the one thing was clear about him. He was never tame. He just tolerated those he felt would not hurt him.

And if you pulled up to the house in a car he did not recognise, it was best you did not get out of the car until one of the kids told him it was ok. Once he learned your voice, you could call him off also. Otherwise, you might get your leg chewed off.

Damn fine guard mutt for sure. Years later he just trotted off into the backwoods and never returned.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Well, it's been a while but

The pics you have here don't look like the ones that I saw. The ones you have posted look more like the "Curs" that they nail down at the 3C's hunt in Ga. Which as my reasearch hints are relative to the dingo's of Australia. Whether that is right or wrong I dunno.

The ones that I saw were crossed with a collie and were really sharp in primer fur. In fact, my grand dad had a pic of one that he had 2 hats made out of. He caught them in Nebraska with his greyhounds and an Irish deer hound back in the late 50's or early 60's. WD

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Here in KY I keep hearing that they exist ,and that they are supposedly very aggressive, only thing I have seen is starving mutts people dump out of cars because there to cheap to put them down or feed them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Coy Dog

Lance. One morning I passed on a shot because of one of these dogs. It was the first time I saw one. The sun was just comming up. I started calling and had called for about 10 minutes when I saw 3 coyotes comming in. The first dog in was the Coy dog. I put my crosshairs on him and followed him all the way in to about 100 yards and that's when I really got a good look at him. I mean I just kept looking through the scope because I really thought I was looking at someones pet. I decided not to shoot just in case the farmers dog was running with the coyotes. I went to pick up another dog in the scope but they had winded me I guess and turned and was running away. I got no shot. The first time you see one you will play tug of war with yourself on if you should actually shoot or not. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Gapmaster

·
Registered
123 Posts
One of my neighbors had a

boxer/doberman cross---big red dog! He would sometimes run and play w/the yotes. One fall another of my neighbors that used to haul haystacks for people was loading a stack on that neighbors property and he said the biggest reddest coyote he ever saw jumped out of it. I've never seen one myself, but I have no doubt that they cross.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have seen what "I" would consider a coy dog. It's a long story, but the short version is I was squirrel hunting and as I was leaving the woods for the morning two "coy dogs" also came out of the woods about 125yds from where I exited. They looked just like any other coyote you'd see here in KY, except for their size. Both of them appeared to be larger than my German Shephard, which would make them bigger than any other "normal" coyote that I've ever seen in KY. Maybe I just have an overactive imagination, or maybe...

Also, what many people consider coy dogs around here are simply wild dogs. In the rural areas it's common for people to just dump out litters of pups. Most of them don't survive, but the few that do act a lot like a coyote except they are much more aggressive toward humans.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.