Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friends, it is with heavy heart that I share the news of the passing of my friend Heck Phillips, He passed yesterday . He was a great friend to me and many others. I know I can reach a lot of his friends on this forum. Please keep his family in your prayers. He will be sadly missed by many! Also please help spread the word to his friends that may not see this post!!

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
I met Heck and Vince when the gas shortage was raging and the rookie Hunt was called off one year. He invited a couple alternatives who could still come, and I was one of them I also bought one of the shooting benches he made. It was a bit taller than his normal, and I liked it real well. Now it will remind me of Heck every time I use it. RIP Heck.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
I knew he was in poor health for a long time, but sorry to hear he's gone on.

Man. What a guy! I will never forget the time he came Roaring up the highway behind us (Voldoc Driving) waving us down....it seems Doc Stone (I'll blame him) had left the Trailer door unlatched and his Farley rest had fell out and Skidded down the road! Heck had picked it up and ran us down.
The Liars Lounge was an old gas station that Heck had converted to a Reloading Center, Gun Vault, and meeting place. Lot of stories there.
RIP old Buddy.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He shared his passion and experience with so many people! One of his good friends told me this when I called to tell him the sad news. After telling me how Heck had touched his life and he had learned so much from him. He said “There will be a nation of people mourning the loss of Heck but there will be millions of prairie dogs that will be relieved”

·
Registered
283 Posts
Thanks for the notice, Vince. I consider myself to be incredibly lucky to have come out with Norm that one time and experience dogging with you and Heck. It was an experience I thought I'd never have the chance to have but Norm must have really sweet talked you and Heck in to it and I've got the pictures to prove it!
We'll all travel that path at some point, he's just gone on ahead to scout out the best places.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I guess my son, Mushmouse, and I were one of the last "Rookies" in 2008 group. I planned to go back in 2018 but it just didn't happen. I remember gas went over $4.00 a gallon and it took 100 gallons to drive out and back. We booked the only room left in Holly because the rodeo was in town. I was terrible shooting but my son killed pd's at over 600 yds with his 22-250. (with my reloads) I quickly learned to love Heck's 204 collection. A world of knowledge and wise man.

Reactions: Dogsgone

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
I drove thru Holly Colorado on the return trip from visiting Dean a couple years ago and I did Not see a single Prairie Dog.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I drove thru Holly Colorado on the return trip from visiting Dean a couple years ago and I did Not see a single Prairie Dog.
I’d like to think Heck and I killed them all , but the truth is , the plague was a little more deadly than we were! Last several years we had to drive a ways to find a decent pocket of live targets!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I remember mucking a horse stall back when Heck was offering rookie hunts. He called me and offered me a spot. Man! Wanted to go but the daughters were little and money was tight. Even on the phone he made a person feel comfortabl.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I was blessed to be offered a Rookie hunt with Heck and Vince. I went with Roger (Thejudge RIP) Rick (gondawgen RIP) and Randy (ILMO)
Went quite a few more times after that till the drought and plague wiped them out.
Jeans Sky Trousers Plant community Cargo pants

Me, ILMO, TheJudg, Heck, Vince, GoneDawgen

Reactions: Dogsgone
1 - 18 of 18 Posts