Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to say hello to the board, following my long absence. As some of you know I have had quite a time the last year or two. Anyway, I am currently living with family in Oregon, for the time being.

I finaly got out and tried some calling on the family ran farm. One could hear coyotes howl in the night, and occasionaly see one on the road at night. So I had a break in the weather last Saturday evening. I grabbed the Savage 223AI and dressed in full NATgear camo, from head to toe. I had painted the gun and barrel in camo a year or more ago, and only the scope was left black. I figured I was pretty well hidden from any yotes bionic eyes.

The wind was light and from the North allowing perfect set-ups from how the brush and fields layed. I headed out with my brother's Honda Recon, and found that the rains had swollen every low spot in the draws and fields into mini lakes. Coming to where a road passes through a heavy brush line of about 100 yards wide and half flooded with water a foot deep I crossed the water and parked. Walked about 50 yards to the opening in the brush and found a patch of weeds and dead grass to set up in. This gave me full view to the river several hundred yards to the right, 200-300 yards over open ground in front of me, and 200 hundreds left to more brush. they can't sneek up on me here, I thought. My back was to the flooded brush.

I changed the reed in my Crit'r-call PeeWee to the thin one for cotton tails, as there are no jacks hare. And started calling. I expected to see ne come from in front across open ground and sky light its self out front so I had Weaver V16 on 8x. I called for several minutes on and off. and scanned the 180 degrees left to right. Raising the call to my mouth for one last session, I looked out the corner of my eyes to the right and froze!

Not 40 feet away to my extreme right was a coyote facing me head on and burning holes in me with those yellow eyes!!! I thought how the He!! did it do that???? Hmm, it just stood there postured to make an explosive attack or escape. Since I was fully camoed adn laying prone it didn't know what I was. and being left handed I had to turn the gun hard to the right to shoot. I thought there is only one way to do this...

I slowly lowered my left hand and turned down the scope, flipped off the safety, and dropped the call in the grass. Yote was still there..... I expected to have to make a running shot when I lifted the gun to swing it.....I slowly lowered my right hand to the forearm of the Rifle, lip squeeked, yote still there starring. lifted the gun a few inched so bi-pod legs cleared the weeds, turned the gun, lifted the scope to my left eye, and fired when the X-hairs hit her chest. the 50gr Vmax was instant death. I stood up not believing I had pulled it off! ha I stepped off from the muzzle of the gun to her nose, and it was 12 paces.

Since I was fully camoed, face cover and gloves I expect she wasn't sure what I was there in the grass, thus she held for those fatal seconds.

The coyote weighed 30 lbs on a bathroom scale...our combined weight minus mine. Wish I had a pic to post but I have no way of down loading from this computer.

Hope all have a Merry Christmas and happy new year.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hello

back at ya. Sounds like you had a great and successful hunt. Good luck in your future hunts.

Bob

·
Registered
826 Posts
That was a truely great shot!.......

You obviously had your act together on this yote! She could not see the white on your hands or face, so her hard drive could not what you were!

You will never forget that stand as long as you live!

Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Tyler ya dog killin dog!!!!

Where u BEEN???!!! Was going to borrow an old Coast Guard helo and start a search.
Nice dog story, wish I`d been there to film it. From the right angle it woulda looked like she was standing 3 feet away.
Where in Oregon are you now? Most of my family is now in Clatskanie, west of Longview about 20 miles and on the Oregon side of course.
Keep in touch and pm me when you can
(I just got back to GGVG after about 3 years):D

·
Registered
5,281 Posts
Man, I love that one

Great Job; its hard to not go to pieces when they are lookin right at you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Terry, yep, it's me....same Tyler in Ca. Good to see you are still here. Thanks for the prayers, I know you send them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Mike....

Hi Mike...long time no comminicate. About a year ago you called me, I think....lot has happened in my world since then.

I have the same old cell# should you wish to use it...I lost most everyones' #'s over a year ago with a lost cell phone. Good to hear from you.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Hey Tyler....good job !!!!

Oh man, that is a task, when they just appear close to you and your are handcuffed like that! Glad you got her, and congrats. Like you say, laying low, and appearing like moving grass or bush helped you a lot.

Reminds me of a stand at Darrens, on that fenceline looking east. My buddy Randy and I are laying at the fence, muzzles poking thru under the low wire. Were laying down. Im calling, and its drizzling. After darkness was just about to close the show on us, I whisper.....well, i guess we can call it a day now. but get no answer. So I look at him, and hes pointing to my left. Uh-oh, dumb female coyote, sitting and staring at us about 60 yds away, and only 10 feet off of the fenceline! I shot her, and we both started laughing right away.

Those are memorable stands, like Keith said.:D :D

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hey Tyler,at least you did not feel a wet nose on your neck Ha !

Nice to hear from ya. Miss talking to you Bud.Hope you have a Merry Christmas and an even better New Year. Ken

1 - 11 of 11 Posts