Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help, fellows. I ended up with a 450 Dillon press that spent 15 years in a tractor barn in Mississipi.

I've got it cleaned up, polished up and working, all but the powder charge die. It's got an insert in it (set up for the 223 when I got it), that loads from the bottom, and darned if I can get it out. Took the little set screw out, soaked it overnight in CLP, and I can't get the $#[email protected]^%$ little insert out. Even when beating on it with a hammer......

What am I doing wrong? TIA, Dutch.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Are you talking about a powder funnel? I have a 550, and if these use the same stationary powder die (not the one used for the dillon auto powder measure), the funnel can only go in and come out one way. The funnel is inserted in the end opposite the threads (which would be the top of the die if screwed into the press). The powder funnels also corrode easy and yours could be bound for eternity. Make sure you're working in the right direction. I had one bind once, and whacked it a few times in the wrong direction before I realized I was working on it from the wrong end. You can always order another powder die and funnel. When I bought my press, I knew little about it and many of the powder funnels that came with the press were rusty right out of the box. I called Dillon to see if this was normal, and they sent me a replacement for the ones in the worst condition. Dillon is great about standing behind their products and their support is second to none - give them a call. They recently sent me a replacement seating stem for my .223 die as the one that came with the die was leaving a dimpled ring around the ogive of the bullet when loading compressed Varget loads. They also replaced a rusted linkage rod and spring for the auto powder measure that I got from Ebay - no charge!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine's the "old" style, that loads the insert and holds it with a set screw. Looks like she's mated for life, then. There was some powder sticks and such in there, and someone before had already been beating on it. That combined with the humidity probably was a pretty good way to rust things tight.

Got everything else working, polished the insides and outsides of the dies. Got a manual coming from Dillon, so I'll go through that and then make a parts order.

Thanks for the help. Dutch.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Call Dillon...........

Send it back to them and they will replace it.....your 450 and all it's parts has a lifetime no BS warranty and Dillon stands behind it completely.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't think I could sleep at night if I did that....... This thing was abused through gross neglect. Not Dillon's responsibility. JMO, Dutch.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
DB

Send it to Dillon. R&R is their #1 marketing tool. They know people will buy their product because it is good and they stand behind it. A friend shot his 650 Dillon. He called them and they said send it in , no charge. Dillon would not continue to do it if they were not making money.

Gabriel

·
Registered
794 Posts
I can assure you it won't matter to Dillon.....whoever had this press before you isn't reloading any more or has moved on to another type of press. Once you find what good customer service Dillon has on their product you will be thier customer too... it's a win, win for both of you. Dillon express in his warranty that you must be the original purchaser...he says his presses are warranted for life. It wouldn't matter if you found it at the side of the road after a train wreck. Get it fixed right and enjoy the quality of the press.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts