Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to put some information together to write a restoration article on a Shilen DGA that I bought early last year. After I bought the gun, I called Mickey Coleman about replacing the bolt handle. (I also e-mailed Mike Bryant last month about installing a badger bolt handle on it. Mike, thanks for your time) Funny thing is, Mickey had also looked at the same gun, but passed on it. Mickey got me in touch with Bill Hull at Shilen who offered to make the repairs. During our conversation I did not ask any questions about the gun or any history on it simply because I had no idea where ownership in ths gun would take me. Questions for Bill will come in the next couple of weeks.

At this time, nothing has been done, but I am definitely going to try my best to put the gun back to its original configuration. Kind of like a frame off restoration of a car.

Here's what I have:
The gun is a single shot DGA action.
Serial # 1006
Bolt serial # 522 (most likely not the original) PPC, no ejector. Handle lightened and drilled out. Bolt shroud turned down and bolt bushed front and rear.
It has the brown patina so I'll assume it's 4340 CM
I'm told the trigger is a Hart, and it's pinned, but I don't know if it's on a hangar. I still haven't pulled the action out of the stock.
The stock maker is unknown.
The person I bought it from has/had the original bases, and I'll try to get them from him.

I can provide pictures to anyone who needs them if it will help identify anything about the gun.

So, here's what information I'm looking for if anyone knows:

When was the action built? (Shilen should be able to answer the first few questions)
Was it sent out as a complete gun or just an action?
If it was a complete gun, what was it chambered in?
If it was a complete gun, what trigger, stock etc were installed on it?
Who ordered it and where was it shipped to.
If it was just an action, who was the original gunsmith?
What did the original gunsmith do to the action as far as barrel, chambering etc?
Who has owned the action/gun since it was made?
Who modified it? Why?
What happened to the original bolt?

Any answers, leads or tidbits will be very helpful in putting this guns history together. I really want to put it back as it was, even if I lose a BR rifle in the process.

Thanks a bunch,
Mike

Feel free to PM, e-mail or phone me if you have any information.
Mike Casselton
[email protected]
1-813-205-5424

·
Registered
785 Posts
Shilen DGA

Being a big fan of the DGA and having 2, I was prepared to answer some questions, until I read them. I doubt you will get any history from Shilen since ED and Doug are not affiliated with the company anymore. In my attempts to backtrack the lineage of mine in the last 4 years if Doug couldn't tell you off the top of his head it didn't get answered. Last option is the original owner and without you throwing out pics and serial #'s that's probably not going to happen either. I do hope your successful in putting it back together in original trim. I know that Todd Kindler did a restoration article on a DGA that was owned by an individual that was close to the Shilens. You might be able to get hold of Todd and track down a back issue, I do know that it was about 4-5 years ago before Todd sold SCN.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Steve Boelter and C Miller

Steve, I just got Alan Hall's phone # tonight. I'll give him a call in the next few days. I also got some leads about manufacturing the actions, but I'll PM you a couple of the details. Trade secrets and whatnot... :D
BTW, I've written 2-1/2 pages already, so it will need some editing to get rid of the fluff. I figure it's better to have it and not need it rather than no info at all... ;)

C Miller,
I was unaware that this subject had already been covered in SCN. I will give Todd a call and see what I can come up with. I sure appreciate the info. Would you mind telling me your serial #'s and if you know what year they were manufactured?

Anyone else care to chime in?? Any info that can be provided will be welcomed

Thanks a bunch,
Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.