Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a 243 Model 7 from a close friend. The gun shot factory 75g Hornady's like a heavy barrel during its stay in Elko, NV. I shot it the other day with Federal Premium 70g NBT, got about 1 MOA.

Took it to the range today with various loads consisting of 65 and 75VMAX and 70 NBT loaded with H414 or Varget. Best I could get was 1.75MOA, some as bad as 3":( . I got a lot of vertical stringing. Had a pretty steady head wind, but it didn't affect the other rifles on the outing and temp was a balmy 27d.

Rifle wears a 2.5-8X VX-III in leupold bases/rings. Everythings' stock with the exception of the 2.5# trigger.

Any ideas on the problem?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Humidity change?

I recently picked up a 243 Model 7 from a close friend. The gun shot factory 75g Hornady's like a heavy barrel during its stay in Elko, NV. ...vertical stringing.
If I see it right, you are got the gun in Elko, NV and you are now in MO? Is this a wood stock?

Part of the problem may be a pressure point in the stock due to humidity/swelling in the wood. You may want to be sure it is properly bedded and floated in the barrel channel and try again before you go overboard on anything else. Always a good idea to check the scope mount screws as well.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
876 Posts
It shot like a heavy barrel.

Did you duplicate the load it shot well in Elko? Did this load vertical string as well? You being in a different elevation/ temp. you might need to tweak the powder charge a tenth or two. Steve may be correct on the humidity/bedding idea, but you did not indicate if this were a wood, laminate, or the plastic model 7. If it is the plastic or laminate mod. I would doubt that humidity would mess you up. Did you switch primer brands? That can be a culprit too. Hope this gives you some good ideas.

·
Administrator
13,352 Posts
gotta watch where you put the forend on the front rest

my model 7 is wood (7-08) and is a tackdriver, not bedded or modified in any way other than a free-float when new. I find I have to put the front rest back almost to the front action screw for optimum accuracy. If you're out too far on the front rest, you'll get inconsistencies and vertical groups. The headwind wasn't helping any either if you weren't using wind flags.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I hate to say it, being a Remington fan, but as I see it, the problem is it's a Model 7. I can think of 2 out of 2 recently that we played with to try to get to shoot. Neither would - one .243 and one 7-08. Tried pretty much all factory ammo, neither got below 2", with frequent fliers. Had a lot of work done on the '08 first free floating the barrel, then full length bedding, no help. Both were finally sold off. Hope you didn't get the .243! I can remember similar posts here in the past regarding M7's. Personally, I don't think I'll be getting one in the future, my friend's were too much aggravation.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Whoops - hit submit too early

To continue - but in your case with a gun that has shot well but now strings, like mentioned earlier I'd look for a *new* pressure point and try to relieve it. Many M7's do like a pressure point at the foreend tip and humidity may have affected yours, or led to swelling elsewhere. Also, simple thing, scope base screws may have loosened during the trip.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I recently picked up a 243 Model 7 from a close friend. The gun shot factory 75g Hornady's like a heavy barrel during its stay in Elko, NV. I shot it the other day with Federal Premium 70g NBT, got about 1 MOA.

Took it to the range today with various loads consisting of 65 and 75VMAX and 70 NBT loaded with H414 or Varget. Best I could get was 1.75MOA, some as bad as 3":( . I got a lot of vertical stringing. Had a pretty steady head wind, but it didn't affect the other rifles on the outing and temp was a balmy 27d.

Rifle wears a 2.5-8X VX-III in leupold bases/rings. Everythings' stock with the exception of the 2.5# trigger.

Any ideas on the problem?
I would have a hard time (with my eyes) shooting less than 1 MOA at 100 yds with 8X glass :) But usually when you hear stringing, bedding and or pressure points is where most would advise you to look.

Maybe go back to the KNOWN good factory Hornaday 75 load, and see what you have. Make sure that round shoots good in Missouri, in YOUR hands. Then you will at least have a solid starting point to work from.

Model 7's can be picky, and need just the right load, from what Ive heard. I have not owned one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.