Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to WV in a few weeks for some fox, bobcat, and coyote calling. My buddy owns about 300 acers about 2 hours west of Cumberland Md., not sure of the county.

I just got done reading through the WV DNR's website and I'm a little confussed. Looks like we will have to use .22 or smaller rimfire or 4 shot or smaller for night hunting, but I could not figure out if you could use larger weapons during day light hours. Also, will the 6 day non-resident small game licenses be all I need to buy.

I did see that I could use my foxpro and a light, but the light has to have a red or amber filter. I hope it gets a little colder with maybe some snow before then, he said between him and his brother, they saw 6 bobcats last Sat while smokepole hunting. Hope they ain't pulling my chain. Thanks for the help.

Philbert

·
Registered
6 Posts
Any caliber you want for daylight hours. The small game license is all you need for varmint/predator as far as I know. To hunt large game I.E. deer, bear, turkey, you need different stamp/license. Why they force us to use rimfire & shotgun at night, I have no idea, but that's the game. I suggest a 22WMR if you have one. I've taken many critters at night with the 22mag.

Good luck,
HS

·
Administrator
11,732 Posts
if you get an extra cat, lemme know

drawing a bob-kitty license here in PA is about like winning powerball. If you get a couple kitty's, keep me in mind. I want one for a full body mount.

I'm kinda busy lately, but keep me in mind next time. Let's get together in a few weeks locally.

Charlie

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
drawing a bob-kitty license here in PA is about like winning powerball. If you get a couple kitty's, keep me in mind. I want one for a full body mount.

I'm kinda busy lately, but keep me in mind next time. Let's get together in a few weeks locally.

Charlie
He's telling me two of them climed a tree 15 yards in front of him while he was in the stand. I asked if he was sure? He said, "I was looking through the scope, they had no tail except a stub, thier face and head looked funny, and they were grayish with dark spots." He wants one to mount also, so if we get more than one I'll save it for you. My .17m2 should be enough out to say 50 yards, don't you think.

·
Administrator
11,732 Posts
I'd think the 17M2 will be fine

better than a 22 LR. I've seen the way your 22's shoot! LOL

Keep it off the shoulder, in the ear, neck, etc, or thru the ribs = dead kitty.

Then again, if you're in the boonies....

Charlie

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was planing on taking the Henry lever action! LOL! I shot two red's last year with the m2 at around 35 yds and they were good and dead, rib shots.

I don't know how big the things are, he said between a fox and a house cat???? I know the 17m2 will dispatch most animals that size!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts