Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for you what ar-15 do you have in .204 Ruger? Iam interested in one and been looking at dpms, any suggestions and what kind of accuracy. Thanks and Happy New Year, RMN

·
Registered
46 Posts
I build my own. I have used a couple of different barrels before settling on the Shilen stainless match barrel. The Pac-Nor barrels that I used were very good as well. I just got a batch of 10, .20 cal. Shilen barrels in last week.

The accuracy with the Pac-Nor barrels was greatm, and I expect the same from the Shilen. The very first .204 I build was with a Pac-Nor barrel and it shoots clover-leafs @ 100 yards.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My last ar I built..........

I used a wilson barrel and like you said will cloveleaf them at 100. 1-8 twist.

·
Registered
46 Posts
DPMS used to use Wilson barrels. Back about 7 or 8 years ago I was looking at different barrel companies to purchase reasonably priced blanks from. I got 5 wilson .224 blanks. The first one was a real tack-driver. It produced consistent, tiny groups. The second blank wasn't quite as good. It was plenty good for an AR barrel, just not as good as the first one. The third blank was terrible! The best I could get was about 3/4", not bad enough to send back, but not good enough to make most of my customers happy. The fourth blank was another tack-driver!

I learned something from that little project: Unless a button-rifled barrel is hand-lapped, they are not going to have a good barrel-to-barrel consistency. There is nothing to say that an un-lapped, button-rifled barrel won't be accurate, just they aren't all going to be accurate. The Olympic Arms SUM (stainless ultra match) barrel is broach-cut. I have used about 1200 of them over the years and have found them to be the most consistently accurate, production AR barrel available. Between the fact that Olympic Arms does not produce a .20 caliber barrel, and the increase in demand for wildcats, I am going to be using Shilen hand-lapped stainless match barrels for all of my custom builds. Sure, the Shilen barrels are more expensive than what I paid for the Wilson blanks, but by the time I profile, thread, chamber, headspace and flute a barrel, I don't want to end up with accuracy that is anything less than fantastic!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts