Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have shot allot of rounds out of my friends varmint guns and had so much fun last year I think it's time to break down and buy a good varmint gun but there are so many and I have tons of questions.

Most of the time I shot the remington or ruger and loved it. But I fell in love with the thumbhole stocks. I will only shoot this gun at gophers and I was also thinking of a single shot as I have always liked them but any good thumbhole varmint gun will do.

So what are my options??? I was looking at the remington XR-100 but I just wished it was a little cheaper.

Also would it be a bad move to look for a used gun??? My friends have also told me to buy some good parts and have the local gunsmith build a good single shot for me.

Any help would be great. Thanks Justin

·
Registered
270 Posts
Remington and Savage make thumbhole stocks, both very good guns. CZ makes a very nice varmint rifle for the money also.

I wouldn't be affraid to buy a used varmint rifle, just make sure you look it over, look through the barrel, cycle the action, make sure all the controls work. You can always replace stocks, triggers and barrels.

Good luck and welcome

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

So I have had guys tell me the cheaper savage guns don't shoot as well I always thought they were feeding me some bull but is it true???

So how much would a guy have in good custom gun??? Not looking for crazy acuracy but I am still thinking this over as option with some local help as well to make it turn out right.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Savage Mod 12 has my vote! You can pick one up for as little as 450-500 bucks and they are very accurate right out the box. In my opinion the Savages will stack up against other guns costing 2-3 times as much. The three that I own all shoot 1/2 moa or better with factory barrels. The most important thing, imo, is proper break-in, quality mounts and rings, and of course, good optics. Also, there's never been a factory round through any of my 12's although they will still shoot very good w/factory ammo. :)

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
While considering the Savage, which is a good accurate rifle, take a look at the CZ 527. Less than $500.00, closer to $400.00, very accurate out of the box and nice looking to boot. If you get one, you'll be happy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Snow, One of my Savages is the 12bvss in .22-250, and it's probably my favorite. I've shot 1/4 in. groups with it using handloads. You might check the Choate stock for the savage and see if you like it, I picked one up a year or so ago and it does real well. the stock is kinda heavy but I dont mind them being too heavy. I use mine for target and varmints, so to me, the heavier the better.

The CZ's are very good as well.

o

nly use my savages for target and varmints so to me, the heavier, the better.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Rob I don't like the looks of the CZ but the savage does not look bad at all but can you get it with the stock like XR-100 has??? Our local gun show did not have any XR's in 22-250 or that many varmint gus at all so I am still looking. Thanks for all your help. If anyone knows a used or any XR100 let me know or even a custom savage.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ya I looked at it but for some reason I like the looks of the remingtom stock better. If I could find a savage with the thumbhole stock or a XR for a good price I think I will buy.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Snow
Check out the Boyd's Gunstock web site. The XR-100 thumbhole is their varmint thumbhole stock (it is also used on the Howa varmint rifles). Don't recall if they make it for the Savage, but they may.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Just checked and they list the stock for the Savage

Here is the site http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/

You can get them to fit and finish the stock if you don't want to try yourself.

Good luck.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Varmint Gun

Snow, a CZ is as close as you can get to a custom rifle without paying the price of a custom rifle. My CZ 550 Varmint shoots less than 1/2" at 200. The gun has only shot a few rounds of commercial ammo (Federal Match), the rest were handloads. The gun comes with action bedded and barrel floated. A gunsmith did "tweak" the bedding and the barrel float distance-so that a business card would insert under the barrel. The price is right, too. Around $500.

You can always change the stock if you want, but the wood on mine looks too good to change it out.

CZ does have offerings in 22-250....

Good luck.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I'm surprised at you guys!!

So far no one has mentioned the HOWA thumbhole varminter! It is the same company that builds Weatherbys as I understand. From the people I have talked to that own them they are very accurate and well built. You should pick one up and see if it fits you. They are several hundred dollars cheaper than an XR. They are chambered in .22-250 as well. Good luck in your search and keep us all updated. Then maybe we can fill your mind with dreams of scopes and handloads!:D T. in N. Idaho

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I did notice the Howa on guns america but I can't seem to find Howa's website??? Also I see most of them are 22'' barrels does the 26'' help like the Remigton and Savage ones have????

·
Registered
233 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have 2 one in 223 and one in 308. They are heavy barrel, thumbhole varmint models. Both came with 24" barrels. The triggers are the same as the Wheatherby Vanguards (Howa makes the Vanguards) and can be adjusted. Both shoot very well, though I did pillar bed and glass bed the actions before i ever took them out to shoot. I also had muzzle breaks installed on each.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have an XR-100 in 22-250 and one in 223WSSM, both have custom barrels that replaced the factory before I ever went out and shot them. So it hard to compare them to the Howa's on an apples to apples basis.
I will say that the Howa's I have shoot very well and believe that they would be equal to an out of the box XR-100 with the right loads. I also do not think you would give up anything significant with the 24 vs 26 inch barrel.

Bed the action/pillar bed, tune the trigger, work up a load the rifle likes and you will be doing just fine with the Howa. I added the muzzle break, not for the recoil, but to be able to see my hits on target.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.