Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My trees that are bout 14 years old are dropping nuts. The Damsquirrels are sitting there waiting for them.
I don't have very many and am going to get a bunch off the Parent Trees where my trees came from.
They come up very well (almost 100%) but are Very Difficult to Raise to bearing age.
Sports equipment Plant Ball Fruit Wood

Yeah, that's a baseball
There are not many of these trees around. I have Zero except the ones I planted.

Fruit Sky Plant Food Tree

Plant Terrestrial plant Groundcover Flowering plant Beet greens

Seedling a few months
old.
Cloud Plant Sky Natural environment Tree

Early Spring but these ones aren't bearing yet.
The Bark gets Scaley when they are big enough to produce. Scaley Bark Hickories; but most Scaley Bark trees have a much smaller nut.
Some DamLawyer will probably have them all cut down someday.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
No hickory here, but I have lots of walnut trees. The squirrels love them.
I am trying to grow more, but getting them started is difficult. I would like to fill the backyard with them.

·
Registered
454 Posts
That is some kind of big hickory nut. We have shag bark hickory here but the whole nut in the husk is maybe an inch or a bit more in diameter, not baseball sized.

·
Registered
5,628 Posts
Have a bunch of hickory and walnut behind dad's place. Also where we have our ground blinds and stands are just full of them. The squirrels get on a tree and it sounds like it's raining they are cutting them so hard.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I've gathered hickory nuts since I was a kid, I love 'em too. Black walnuts are good, too once they dry away from the shell enough to pick out easily. Messy to get the husks off but their distinctive flavor, once you've tried it, grows on ya.

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
I just dump about 50-80 pounds of black walnuts on the gravel driveway and run them over a few times with the car to get the husky off of them. It’ a bit messy but easier than doing them by hand. Letting them then dry out a few days helps.

·
Registered
7,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just dump about 50-80 pounds of black walnuts on the gravel driveway and run them over a few times with the car to get the husky off of them. It’ a bit messy but easier than doing them by hand. Letting them then dry out a few days helps.
And you make Jan hull them out....you don't want your hands black.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts