Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK…. I am getting old, so I have a real problem focusing on open sights, and even using some 1970s vintage 3x9 scopes I have. Enter my latest acquisition: a Bushnell Elite 4200 6X24 scope. Love it! It’s mounted on a VLP Savage model 12. That adjustable objective seems to make all the difference, I can actually see what I am shooting at very clearly, and I can easily and rapidly focus from 25 yards up to 300 yards, no problem! I love the Mil dot too, even though I am still learning to use it properly (range finding).Now… I spent close to $500 on the 4200… question: Am I going to like the really high price (say, $1000 and more) scopes even better, or would I be wasting my money? I am asking because I am thinking of buying more of those AO scopes, maybe some of those high-end European scopes. By the way, I do have a BSA “Sweet 17” 6x18 scope. Not bad, and quite cheap at around $100, but I like the Bushnell Elite 4200 much better!

JLC

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Good question. I agree with you about the quality of the Bushnell, have a couple just like it. Also, have a couple of Luepolds that retailed for nearly twice as much. Do I like them? Sure do. But are they worth twice as much to me? No. You pay a lot for a small difference and some differences many people won't be able to see.

But, like you say, we're getting old and you can't take it with you. Buy one and see if it's worth the difference.

Rick

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Personal choice..........

You will have to try one, to see if they are worth it to you..

They are nice, and have high resale value, so you wont be risking $1200 or so dollars, if you dont like it, you can usually retreive 90% of your investment.

But whether they are "worth it" will ultimately come down to your own personal wants and needs in the end.

Glad you enjoy the Elite, they are very good scopes.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I own a few elites 3200 & 4200 hard to beat for the price and clarity IMHO.As far as the high end scopes to each his own.I looked threw some high dollar scopes and a 4200 elite and could not tell much difference.Maybe its just me:)

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
If your happy with them why spend the extra money. I`ve own acouple of Bushnell Banner scope and thought they were junk. I`m old also but for several years now I`ve had Leupold scopes on all my guns. I do have 1 Burrius scope on a 500 S&W custom shop gun that was there when I bought the gun, but it`s going to come off and a 2 1/2 x 8 Leupold is going on it. I`ve got more Leupold scopes than most of the gun shops around here, but when I find one at a gun show that is a good buy I just buy it and put it on the shelf untill I need it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thaks for the advice

Thanks for the advice, guys.

I do have a Bushnell Banner 3-9 X 40, and it's OK - but the Elite 4200 seems to be another kettle of fish. Way better.

I did buy a Leupold VX1 4-12 X 40 a couple of months ago. Not impressed, I am afraid, as I like the Banner about the same and the Banner was half the price!

When I am ready to buy another scope, I will check the high-end ones - but will compare them with the Elite too, as I am quite happy with its performance.

JLC

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
There are some medium priced scopes with very good glass, but the repeatibility is poor. If you set your scope once and never use the adjustments after that you may be happy with that scope. If you adjust it regularly you may not be happy with it. There are several things that add cost to a scope besides the clarity of the glass. Repeatability, reliability,and warantee to mention a few.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Opinion on scopes

Sounds like some good advice, and there seems to be many good scopes on the market.

I had some bad experiences with Bushnells and with some Burris variables many years ago, and never tried any more of their products. But in all fairness, the loads I was using at the time would probably have damaged an anvil, and they were used in some harsh environmental conditions.

Since then I've used Leupold for rifles and handguns. I also have a couple of rifles with Nightforce scopes and like them.

Bottom line, good scopes aren't cheap.

If you routinely shoot at distance, or need to shoot during low light conditions, or if you will subject your scopes to severe recoil or other harsh conditions, those are the times when the better stuff seems to make a difference.

If you never shoot under such conditions, maybe you can save some bucks and get something cheaper.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds like good advice

Sounds like good advice, Udiablo and coyote Duster. For what I am doing right now, I may be able to stick to the Elite 4200 or similar priced scopes, but I know I will check those better quality scopes when I get my (hopefully custom) new varminter!

Don, I never heard of some of those scopes you mention. I'll check them out too!

JLC

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Spoiled

Gotta agree with Don if money was not an issue there would be an IOR on everything I own.I had a 4200 once upon a time but it didn't have enough adjustment,was very long and the 32x was just too much power to use,besides that I think I got more than I paid for it on a trade!
I just did an inventory of the scopes and found.
5-IORs(Two-16x and three 6-24s)and would add more if I could afford it!
5-Leupold's(Two 3-9,two 12x and a 6.5-20)Only in the market for reasonably prices used 12x(great prairie dog scope!!)
1-Pentax(3-12 Gameseeker)Good scope for the money,would buy more as long as they have a ranging reticle as they are not noted for tracking very well.Glass is real good in this one!
1-Sightron(3-9SI with mill dot)just got it but it looks like it will work out,glass could be better but was very reasonably priced.
1-Springfield:eek: (4-14 with 223 ranging reticle)I like the FFP,ranging reticle and the level but would not buy one.Got this one in on a trade and put it on an AR upper till it proves itself unreliable.
Truth be known good glass is sweet but not necessary on every gun.The industry is really gaining ground these days by offering side focus and ranging type reticles.I would own a lot more Leupold's and Nikon's if they would have started putting better reticles in them sooner!!!
I know the 4200 and 3200 are good scopes but I just cant get past the Bushnell's of the past:(
Hey Don do you handle Meopta scopes,have looked through and liked a couple but you just don't see anybody stocking them?????

·
Registered
49 Posts
Well, my two cents

I've fallen in love with the Leupold VX II series in the 3-9 and 4-12 for any rifle that is not a heavyweight. they work sooo well on my Remington sporters that I like to carry. I have only been at this for about three years, I'll admit, but for the first 2 and a half, I put BIG 6.5-20's on 700 BDL's and others of similar size. I bought several Nikon's and Bushnell's because I couldn't cough up the jingle for a 6.5-20 VX III. Now I'm shifting those monster scopes to the heavyweights only and retrofitting my light rifles with the VX II's. And, my greatest fear hasn't happened, my groups and hits on targets haven't suffered. The VX II's cost less than the big Nikons I was buying for everything before, the glass has been very good, and adjustments are working great. The VX II 4-12 has an AO also.

·
Registered
407 Posts
The question is: How much better do you see with them?

The high end scopes are getting very pricey. Scope have come a long way in the last 10 years and even the inexpensive ones do a good job. However, each of us "sees" a little bit differently than the next guy and the question is: How much "better" do you see with the expensive ones? And, do you really need the "added" sharpness or clarity or light gathering abilities? Only you can answer those questions. I know, I've been there. Good luck.....:)

·
Registered
785 Posts
?????

Not too long ago I read basically a disertation right here from one of the members that worked with optics for a living. Short story was that the European scopes had a labor hour cost per scope that was twice what the US/Jap scopes cost. That when it came down to the nitty gritty the differences between the 2 when disassembled and laying on a bench where not what the buying public perceived. In fact that between European manufacturers and importers they see the US market as a fatpig while sharing a sly wink among themselves, who knows? I was especially entertained by Speedy Gonzalez's tirade:mad: about Nightforces virtues at a recent LSSO match, obviously he wasn't impressed as he swore at it. In fact all I've seen since that episode are Leupold tubes on his rifles. As someone that owns both highend scopes(Nightforce/IOR /Swarovski) and midrange(Leupold/Nikon/BL Elites) and judging the face time I put behind these rifles I think I'll save the money and buy another rifle. :)

·
Registered
365 Posts
Bear 57 pretty much has it down.

In optics, it can be very expensive to make incremental improvements. In other words, to improve the optical quality from 95 to 97 (using arbitrary numbers) may cost twice as much as the "95" scope. Going from 97 to 99 may double that, or four times the 95 scope. Ah, but going from 99 to 99.5 may double it again! And don't even ask what it takes to go to 99.7! (There is no 100 in optics, and even NASA can't afford a 99.9!)

So the question is at what point on that scale from 95 to 99.7 are you happy? If you really cannot see the difference between a 97 and a 99 scope, then there's no reason to buy the 99. Even if you can see the difference, is there enough difference to justify the doubled price of the 99? For many, the answer is - they'd rather own TWO 97s than one 99.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had the opportunity to shoot a somewhat high end scope recently, I was at the benchrest range and a fellow club member was showing off his rifle, a new 22-250 with a Leupold VX3 scope, it had a varmint hunters reticle and side focus, he let me shoot his rifle and I made a comparison of his scope to the one I was using. My scope that day was a Bushnell Legend 5-15x with a mil dot reticle, the Legend is one step below the Elite 3200, so it's kind of a mid range in Bushnell's product line, it is very bright and very sharp, his Leupold was bright and sharp also, but there wasn't any noticeable difference in the optical quality, I really liked the side focus on his scope, and I also liked the varmint hunters reticle, but like I said, no noticeable difference in brightness or clarity, my scope was just under $200, and his was over $700, now I might be willing to pay a bit more for the extra features, but $500 more was ridiculous.

·
Registered
244 Posts
High End Scopes

With the diminishing returns on advances it optics, in my opnion, electronics will soon take up where optical scopes leave off. I don't think the fine, single purpose scopes will die off, but the hunting market will see more and more electronics. I bought a Elcan Digital Scope about a year ago and put it on my PD gun. What a blast!! You can change reticles (4), change power (2.5-16.5),video the shot, capture a still image, ect. When I get home, I load the videos in the PC and watch the hunt all over, frame by frame. High dollar scope but didn't have to buy a camcorder, and try to film while shooting. I can send some videos if you give me your "E" mail addy ( my computer skills need more work ) My addy is [email protected]. O C

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.