Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The "favorite squirrel rifle" thread reminded me of my brother's favorite cottontail rabbit rifle: his 22-250!

I've told this story before (but, I'd like to hear it again:D, and maybe some of y'all as well!?):D

While driving along a country road, looking for pheasants in wooded groves, we spotted a few bunnies bouncing about this old stand of trees and brush piles.

Hey! Bunnies were also in season, and rabbit goes good in a pan with pheasant as well. So, STOP already!

Instead of his Citori 20 ga, my bro pulled out his Ruger 22-250.

I was 'like' WTF! "You'll blow a rabbit to shreds with that!"

Mike just said, "We're playing 'HIGH POWER COTTONTAILS' (???). Watch and see!"

And, in a minute we see an obliging rabbit hunkered down in some grass, maybe 30 yards away. I was expecting the KERWHOP and a shower of bunnie stew to erupt. But, instead only the rabbit's head exploded.

"That!" Mike explained, "Is HIGH POWER COTTONTAILS! No shot pellets, no mess, no blood shot meat...just fine eatin!"

That style appeals to me in that since that day I've bagged a few bunnies out to 200 yards with both the 220 Swift and (mostly) the 223 PD guns. Course the only way to do it is a broadside shot: end to end results in rabbit stew...scattered over yards of terrain!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
We call it paddock pizza.................except it's the whole rabbit that detonates when a 60gn nasty pill out of the 22/250AI connects.:D

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Don't keep us in suspense any longer.... what scope did he use? Just kidding, good story.

Steven

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Donnie "in a rut"?
Best to remember a rut isn't anything more than a grave with both ends kicked out.....😎

1 - 6 of 6 Posts