Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What are the differences between these sights? Seems the Eotechs are more desireable than the Holosight. Eotechs cost a lot more. Is there that much difference in them?

When I get my next upper for AR15 this is type of sight I want to put on it.

Kevin

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Sights

I thought they were both made by Bushnell, but maybe not. The Holosight had been around for a long time. They look about the same. The company that makes the Eotech has a website that shows the Holosight. That's what really has me confused.

http://www.eotech-inc.com/index2.php

Kevin

Upon further research on above linked page it looks like Bushnell marketed Eotechs products under their name.

From Eotech website: "The first generation holographic sight was successfully launched into the commercial market in January 1996. In January 2000, the second generation Holosight was released into the consumer market."

·
Registered
270 Posts
The Bushnell Holosight looks nearly identical to the Eotechs.

Not sure if they are made in the same factory, just a different name?

I have an Eotech model 511 (N battery) 100 hrs. use and a 512 (AA battery) 1100 hrs. use, both are great units.
Looks like they are about a 100 $ bill more for the Eotechs.

I believe the military uses the Eotech models, I would guess that they would try and purchase the most durable and accurate units for our troops.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
The Holosight was made by Eotech for Bushnell. I say 'was' because there have been some changes at Eotech: they won a US military contract for 60,000 sights and were bought by L3 Communications. I believe the Eotech sight is to replace the Aimpoint with US military but don't remember where I read that. I sell them regionally to LE and they send me tons of press releases but I rarely get to read all of them.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guess I'll probably hold out for an Eotech

Will more than likely get the AA model non-night vision capable.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Guys I did't ask the question but thanks for the info cause I am trying to decide myself on a heads up sight for my AR.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have read

That the EOTech 511 only has 8 hours of battery life in subzero temperatures, compared to two weeks with the AA lithium batteries used in the 512 model. If you can afford one 335+ SHIPPING.

ODAVID

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
The Bushnell Holosight is a no frills EOTech. Both are made by EOTech (L3).

The most obvious difference is that the Bushnell lacks the "armored" hood over the optics display. If you treat your guns very carefully, this is not an issue. If you do take hits and dings, the armored hood is a plus.

The EOTech also has updated, enhanced electronics. Not only is battery drain less, leading to longer battery life, but the dim to bright settings span a wider range. The Bushnell, at least the last time I checked, used the older EOTech electronics.

As far as adjustments and basic display, there isn't any difference, save for special EOTech models with optional display reticles. Both have 1/2 MOA adjustments. The "armored" shield on the EOTech covers the adjustment screws, so there is less chance of them being bumped.

Personally, I prefer the EOTech over the Holosight for the above reasons. I would gladly spend the extra $100 for the 512 over the Bushnell. (Actually I spent more, because I have a 552. I'm also contemplating a 557 with bullet compensation reticle for the 223.)

As far as the battery life being 1100 hours on the enhanced "F" model EOTechs, yes, that's true at low settings. An it will last up to two weeks on its initial power up setting. But if you have to crank up the display beyond its initial setting for bright desert or snow conditions, the AA batteries will be down to 20% by the end of the day. (20% is when the low power warning initiates - the display blinks for a few seconds when first turned on.)

I keep extra AA batteries wrapped up to prevent rattle in the trapdoor of the buttstock. There are also AR grips made that will store a couple of batteries as well. I like the AA models over the N cell because I can get AA batteries just about anywhere. Try that with N cells.

I also made a post on another thread asking about shotgun scopes that has more EOTech info, pics and links. Y'all might want to visit that thread.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Ive got the eotech that uses

AA batteries on a Rock River M4. Works well and batteries last a long time. But, it is not near as precise a cross hairs, of course. But for fast shooting on bigger targets, you can't beat it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts