Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

As I'm pondering the 400+ price tag of a Foxpro caller with remote, I can't help but wonder...

Do any of you see a problem with using an old boom box/mp3 capable and 200 feet of speaker wire to run one speaker to the place I want to call from?

I think I can do this for less than $60 bucks with very little rigging...

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Don't want to discourage you but...

MANY have tried making their own but I hear or read of few if any success stories.

The Fox Pro just plain works, and if you do your part in picking stands and walking to them correctly etc, you and it will get along just fine and you'll probably enjoy predator calling. Good luck with what ever you decide to do. WD

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thankds WD - I was just looking for a little feedback. I'll likely suck it up and drop the $400.

No sense going through all the trouble to hunt (land permission, weapon fine tuning, etc) with unproven equipment.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Hey JP, I was in the same boat as you and for about $100.00 I was able to make this up with a radio shack power horn, Cass Creek Caller, tape player now painted green and now I added a CD player... I have used some camo tape on the power horn. It is a pain to unravel all the speaker wire & roll it all up, but it does work, I've called in foxes, crows, etc. and had lots of hawks and owls check me out... one hawk almost snatched my facemask off... guess it sounds pretty real.

Prior to making this up, I did use a boom box with success. Once again.. heavy and cumbersome, but not 4-$500 either. If I was a dedicated predator hunter, I'd have a FoxPro in a minute!! Sam

·
Registered
388 Posts
I'd skip the wired caller. It's a BIG PITA to pick up the wire time after time, especially if you hunt in the cold. I had a remote homemade e-caller and it worked well. It called in many predators. The problem was/is that the remote that I used to do this runs on the same frequency used by digital television signals. You guessed it, some strange sounds at the wrong time. I bought a FoxPro and am very satisfied with it. The customer service is second to none. MI VHNTR

·
Registered
365 Posts
The biggest problem with all wired speaker systems is that you are not invisible while you stroll out, place the speaker and then tediously unroll the wire back to your stand. The commotion, the movement and the scent trail ruin your chances of ever seeing any nearby predator. That doesn't even address those shiny wires - which always drape themselves on top of everything and then shine in the sun.

Far better (if you don't have a remote) to simply play the caller from your stand. Sneak in, wait a few minutes and then begin. Slowly reduce the sound to silence when you see a predator approaching.

·
Registered
204 Posts
The El-Cheapo is easy to build.

I have used the El-Cheapo with fair success. The 16 min sequence and the 20 min sequence each have 2 minutes of silence at the start and it gives you plenty of time to walk back to your stand. Once it starts, you don't have to fiddle with buttons and devote all of your attention to watching for incomming coyotes.

It works too.

You can read about it here: http://www.varmintal.com/ahunt.htm#...MG]http://www.varmintal.com/coyotel.gif[/IMG]

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I use a similar set up as Varmint Als el cheapo and have had some success,If and when I can afford it I will be getting a fox pro,no dought. If you can scrape up the dough I would go that way if you are really into calling.
Mike F.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have a Johnny Stewart that can be hooked up to an MP3 or CD that works fine. I call it the "Meadow Blaster" But if you have a boom box to do the same thing, I'll let you have the title as well.

I also made the El-Cheapo. I think I can crank a little more volume with it.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hi Folks,

As I'm pondering the 400+ price tag of a Foxpro caller with remote, I can't help but wonder...

Do any of you see a problem with using an old boom box/mp3 capable and 200 feet of speaker wire to run one speaker to the place I want to call from?

I think I can do this for less than $60 bucks with very little rigging...

Thanks for any input.
Years ago an electrical engineer friend of mine rigged a car stereo cassett player with a booster and speaker horn that worked great. If you buy a car stereo that has 40-60 watts you can skip the booster which will make wiring easier. Walmart had a car stereo that played cassettes for $27, but the watts were only 15-20. I do not think that is enough to give you sufficient volume.

·
Registered
343 Posts
You Would Be Surprised What Works!

For years we hunted with a car stereo put in a plastic file box and a motorcycle battery and a long lenght of speaker wire with a pa speaker. The DougH and myself had the best crow shoot we ever had with it, killing over 30 crows standing in the same spot. I am just like what you are thinking, that's a lot of money, but it will work! Good Luck! :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I used the same radio shack amp that Varmint Al, a 5inch speco pa speaker and a mini mart 52 ounce big gulp mug and put this call together it works great for under a $100 includeing the mp3 player for around $80 I can make it wireless

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.