Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a different stock and scope on my 22/250, Remington 700 ADL (early one). I put a used Leopold 8x42 with Weaver rings and bases. The stock was an early one also BDL, so I made it into a BDL. It was freefloated before. There is no wood touching the barrel. I was trying IMR 4895, Hodgodon 4895, and Varget. I tried Federal Match primers and CCI Benchrest primers. My best group was with the CCI Benchrest primers and H4895. Most of my groups were under an inch. A lot of them were strung horizontally. Does my action need to be glassbedded or have pillars on the screws? It seems like I got a hair better accuracy with the CCI BR primers. Darrel

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seems to string left

I only have a 6x scope but it seems left. Today was cloudy and later in the afternoon. Hard for me to make out the bullet holes. My old Weaver seems to be a clearer scope. I was shooting 4 shot groups. 3 were always closer together and the 4th one out a little further. Darrel

·
Registered
826 Posts
Lots of variables.......

the first guess would be that the gun is out of bed.

I have been busted before by not freefloating the barrel enough.

Inconsistant cheek pressure can cause horizontal stringing.

34.5-35.5g of h4895 with a 55g will shoot very well in a lot of guns.

One of the main things that can cause horizontal stringing is a direct cross wind that varies in it's speed.

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
you have addes a couple of more variables that were appropriately pointed out. Was the replacement stock bedded to the prior action? If the barrel is a light taper the four shouts could be warming it up. If the action / barrel had any chance of contact cold this might be enough heat to make it move.
Logically I would clean it up and bed it. Look out for contact with the stock and magazine.

I would go back to basics.

T.D.C.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was shooting 35.0g of H4895. Cheek pressure is something I didn't think about. There was a lite breeze today. I have a 3# trigger, it will be use for hunting coyotes in the cold. Thanks for the advice. Darrel

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The replacement stock was not bedded that I could see. Looked like the way it would come from the factory. The gun I had it on before shot very well with it. I will probabaly have to get the action bedded. I am going to try it again with a different scope to be sure. Thanks for the advice. Darrel

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Dittos!

the first guess would be that the gun is out of bed.

I have been busted before by not freefloating the barrel enough.

Inconsistant cheek pressure can cause horizontal stringing.

34.5-35.5g of h4895 with a 55g will shoot very well in a lot of guns.

One of the main things that can cause horizontal stringing is a direct cross wind that varies in it's speed.
Yeah...What Keith said!:D :D

·
Administrator
11,886 Posts
could be bag troubles

you didn't mention your rest setup (bipod, front/rear rest, sandbags?), but I find I get some nasty L/R stringing with my sporter rifles if I don't have the front rest good and snug. Slop in the front bag allows wobble.

just a thought.

(could be wind too)

Charlie

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was using sand bags(sand in shot bags). I have 2 bags under the stock and 1 bag under the rear. I usually kindof hold or put my left hand by the rear sand bag. Or should I hold the front of the stock on the front bags. I am not a benchrest shooter. Maybe I have not learned the techniques right of holding the gun. Darrel

·
Registered
5 Posts
Last shotitis? Try shooting a 5 shot string. My former partner(he stole a deer on me) had it bad until I proved it to him. If your last shot is usually the one going out, yhen you've got it Anxious, maybe? I don't know what causes it. Hope it helps. gota

1 - 12 of 12 Posts