Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone try it out on coyotes yet? How was it on the fur? We don't have any yet up here in the lost wilds of Canada and I was wondering it it was a good fur bullet for those of us who put up the fur.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I moderate over on www.204ruger.com, and the consensis fur bullet for the .204 seems to be the 35 Berger. We haven't logged enough kills with the 45 (ANY of the posters there) to make any hard and fast recommendations on that bullet yet. Sorry, but the bullet is still pretty new, and no one's had enough chances with it, yet. It DOES kill decisively, though, we know that much.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Why don't they just make a 204 load with a 55 grain bullet and then see how it performs side by side with a 22-250 or a 220 swift?:p
I know I'm being a smart @$$, Sorry I just couldn't help it.;)
I did however see the ad for that bullet in Varmint Hunters mag and it looks good...did anyone notice how the velocity is starting to drop? 45 grain pill at 3625..hmmmm I can drive a 40 grain pill outta 22-250 accurately at 4000fps... BTW, I do load for both cartridges.
Seriously, I bet that the 45 grain PSP would be an awesome performer on groundhogs & coyotes. Sam

·
Registered
876 Posts
55gr. bullets

Just from what Ive seen on the two .204's I am familar with I doubt that bullet would stabilze. In both factory rifles indicated above the heavier bullets would not shoot. The 32gr. bullets were very accurate. I suppose if one wanted to run a heavier bullet you would have to switch to a barrel with a faster twist.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
45 Gr. Hornady

Like Glen says it's a pretty new bullet. But the cost at Midway is more than it is for 35 Gr. Bergers which have been pretty successful for a lot of folks. The idea for that heavy a bullet in 20 caliber is higher BC and they make it a flat base. I think they missed the boat.

I have some and got them on sale. They are going to get tried out in my TAC 20 which has a 1 in 9 twist. But I also have some 50 Bergers that interest me more.

If anyone is using the 45 Hornady or the 50 Berger as a coyote bullet I'd be interested in what they have to say also.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
The 45 ISN'T for bc's sake, it's because there were too many complaints of splashing with the other bullets, on coyotes and stuff heavier than PDs and ground squirrels. It was designed not to splash on coyote hides, or so Hornady says. My Savage tube shoots them fairly well, 3/4" or so, the CZ will only do about 1 1/8". They shoot fairly well in most 12 twist rifles, they are shorter than the 39s and 40s.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts