Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have shot a few boxes of .224V factory ammo, most of it through an AR15. American Eagle, Federal Fusion, and Hornady Varmint Express. I've reloaded a bunch of the Fed brass with no issues. I'm just now getting around to processing a batch of brass including some of the Hornady. The primer pockets on the Hornady brass are very tight. In a few of them, I have not been able to seat a primer. Two days ago, I started sizing a batch of brass. The first case bent the stem of the sizing die. Not the little pin, the stem itself. Sure enough, it was a Hornady case. Don't know what to make of all this.

Edit: Now I know what to make of it after a call to Hornady. Since they intend the round for an AR, the primers are staked. Apparently Federal doesn't make that distinction. Wish I'd known that.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Mighty Armory don't play dat bent stuff.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just had a wonderful morning shooting my factory CMMG Endeavor 24 inch Valkyrie at the back of the range. I handload and have never purchased factory loads. I have found the Star cases tolerable. I have a friend, who also shoots the Valkyrie. He purchased some Hornady cases that were not part of factory loads. He owns Star and Hornady cases with no complaints. I have asked him and he says he will stick with Hornady cases in the future. He bought a new 24 inch barrel from McGowen but hasn't shown up at the range with it.

I shot the 77 gr Tipped MatchKing and 80.5 Berger Full Bore today. I have settled on these two bullets after rejecting several hundred dollars of others. I got a 4.8 SD with VV N-140 today, with a magazine of 5 shots. I have never seen an SD under 10 with that rifle before. Varget shot well but always had a low velocity flyer. I tried 223 CFE (SD 22) and 5 inch group. N-140 had three groups in the 3-4 inch range (different charge weights). All shooting today was at 540 yards, which is the back of the range. Because the skinny AR barrel heats up quick (84 degrees this afternoon), I brought one of my .22 BR varmint rifles. I shot, one group under two inches with it, but it is supposed to shoot like that, it is a bolt gun with a custom Bartlein barrel. Same 77 gr TMK at 540 yards.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts