Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know what the taps size for making the cases for the comprator? I have 9/32 x 36 in my notes but cant seem to find anything. Even checked McMaster Carr.

Buddy has a couple of really obsolete cases he wants to load for and is not interested in the split neck method.

TIA.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I got mine from Fastenall some years back?

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
I had Hornady drill and tap a couple fired (wildcat) cases to work with the seating depth gauge (which is what I think you're asking about, yes?)

·
Registered
893 Posts
I'm going by memory because the print on mine is gone but I believe its a 5-16 X 36 right hand tap. I ordered mine from a machine shop supplier.

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I confirmed the tap is 9/32 x 36 and it is a special order for about 120$. Considering the slop in taps you can probably work with being 1/64 off on each side of a taper thread.

Sending a dozen to Hornady to be tapped is a bit costly. I can find the 5/16 x 36 and the correct drill for about 15$. I will risk 15$ but not 120$.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
I confirmed the tap is 9/32 x 36 and it is a special order for about 120$. Considering the slop in taps you can probably work with being 1/64 off on each side of a taper thread.

Sending a dozen to Hornady to be tapped is a bit costly. I can find the 5/16 x 36 and the correct drill for about 15$. I will risk 15$ but not 120$.

Thanks all.
:confused: Was this the Stoney Point seating depth gauge we're talking about - that (I believe) Hornandy bought out?:confused:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Amazon----$10 and up. The best situation is you are modifying a sized case that has the neck opened to let the bullet slide in and out. If you using a unsized fired case you need tho take into account the different lengthen between (the datum line on the shoulder to the base) of that case and a sized case that you are loading the bullet into.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts