Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
affect calling coyotes? Could you make it a little clearer Keith? The thread on Howling was excellent. Now if someone could help explain the high pressure front a little better, that would be great. Also along that line, how does the moon phase seem to tie in to calling. I personally think calling is better in the dark phase of the moon. Although I get out when I can. I would think it would be wise to plan a calling trip out west when there is a new moon phase. Am I right, or do some of you have different experiences? Still trying to figure out the best times for calling. Darrel

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Exact, is a bad word.....LOL. I don't usually worry about best times to call. That said, if I'm serious about calling coyotes I'd never miss the immediate period right after a major storm system. That period is usually the start of a period of high pressure, but it isn't the pressure that makes it good, it's the fact that all the critters have been cooped-up by the storm. When the storm ends, everything is out cramming in the calories. That makes for good hunting for the predators, so they are hungry, and out in numbers, which makes for good calling. On the full moon, I too feel that it makes daytime calling more difficult, but still not impossible. There's an old "saw" about the calling when the moon is fuller.....if the moon is up when the sun comes up, call in the early morning. If the moon is up when the sun goes down, call in the evening. I've foun dit to be true.
If I had time to go, I wouldn't let the moon phase hold me back. If I were planning a long trip, I would try and make it at the new moon phase, all else being equal.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.