Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To make a long story short. I had a coyote come in and got a little to quick on the trigger and missed. How long do you normaly wait to go back and try again? Do you switch your spot and call? Thanks.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I wait at least a month. Yesterday I went to a stand I haven't been to in a year and had the same result that I had last year. The coyotes just howled and barked at me, never coming into view. It might be a boundry thing there. In a month or two I will try again from a different spot, probably higher and closer to where they were yapping at me.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
a month is a good rule.......

And in winter, when their range is greatly reduced, I would allow at least that long, as you could very likely be calling the same coyote(s).

Also, when you go back, try a different time of day, and different spot in the area, and different call or calling style. Mix up the presentation, and try to not jog the coyotes memory of what happened the last time. They learn fast, and remember well, a close brush with death at the hands of a human.

Also, if rain is in the forecast, good to let that come thru, and wash old scent out the area.

good luck

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sniper Chuck and John in CA gave good advice..........

However if you change stand locations and sounds you can go back the next day. A few years ago I went with a rancher and he showed me where he was seeing coyotes. I called one right in. I missed the damn thing. The next day I went back with my Catahoula's and killed the male at 30 feet by howling and killed the female at 150 yards. Don't give up. You can screw up 50 times. The coyote can only screw up once.
Kirk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.