Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a 2nd year yoter that has yet to bag his first dog. Last season the few yotes I managed to call up with my mouth call busted me before I could get a shot off. So this year I purchased an electronic caller with a remote and a decoy (FX3). Hopefully this will keep the eyes on the decoy and not on me.
My question is on how loud to call - the volume on my caller goes up to an earpiercing level. The areas that I call are generally small woodlots and thickets that aren't very far from each other. Also the decoy has two speeds of motion - should I be using the faster setting or the slower setting??
I am looking forward to using it for the first time this Sunday.;)

·
Registered
303 Posts
How loud

I've seen many discussions on this subject. There is the train of thought that says start out low, so you don't blow away any critters that happen to be close by. Then there is the train of thought that says animals don't cry out softly when they are being eaten alive! Both good points, I guess, if you over think it.

I usually have an idea where they are going to come from, and I realize they can hear much better than I can, so I weigh all that against the terrain density, wind etc and then "I cut er loose". Do it enough and you will get the feel for it. Out in the wide open spaces of the prairie, loud is good cause you can see where they ain't, most of the time. In the hills and hollers of the Ozarks and Applachia(sp) sound travels differently, just go with trial and error.

Don't over think it, just do it, stay out there and off the couch, keep at it, go for it. Have fun while you're at it too.

Oh yeah! if you want volume, turn off that cone speaker and just go with the Horn speaker, check it out, big difference.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've been calling Coyotes since 1954, and don't have all the answers yet. I also have a Foxpro E-caller. I call most of the varmints I shoot with a mouth call. I start out almost as loud as I can call for about 10 seconds. I usually wait for 3-4 minutes before I call again. On the second call I only hit it for about 3 seconds and wait again, then repeat the 3-4 second calls. I won't usually stay on a stand for more than 15 minutes. I call from the high ground or from a tree. Good luck.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Good advice here.....

but do you know why the other yotes you called in busted you? If they spotted you then you may have called too long. Might have been calling as they were getting close maybe or did they smell you? If you can set up so that the yotes cannot scent you without exposing themself then you have an advantage. I try to guess where the coyote will come from and put an opening downwind for my setup. Sun at my back if possible. A crosswind is good too but you need to be ready to shoot before they circle downwind as they almost always do. You can call more with an e'caller but with mouth calls you try not to let them pinpoint your location. Keep an eye on how you get into your setup. Be as stealthy as possible from the time you get near your location. Watch your backtrail. Yotes can pick that up on a dead run. Their nose is like no other. It's their greatest asset and they use it well. When you get your yote.....make a note of your setup and what made it work. Wind, sun, terrain, cover and everything you can soak in. You must learn faster than the coyotes and that is a formidable task. Good luck!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Re;How loud to call?

I have only been calling coyotes for about five years so I don't have as much experience as alot of guys on here,but here goes.
I usually start out low then gradually increase my volume. Having said that now I'll tell you what happened last month. Joeniv and I went calling, didn't have much luck all day long. On the second to last stand of the day niv started out w/the Foxpro. The wind was kicking up pretty good and the sound wasn't carrying very far, so after about 10 min. and no takers I figured there weren't any yotes very close-in so I started on my Sceery AP-6,then using the Tally-Ho. I was really laying it on trying to punch thru the wind. I stopped for a breather and shortly after that I saw a yote crossing in front of me about 250 yrds out . I called a few times but he just dropped into a draw and came out the other side of the draw on top of the ridge behind the hill where I first saw the yote. I called one more time and he gave me a glance over his shoulder as he dropped over the ridge. After replaying the scene in my head several times I've decided that yote was dozing along the edge of the alfalfa field and I woke him up and scared him off. You just never know with those coyotes! Good Luck!!

Jim

·
Registered
92 Posts
My $.02

I play my foxpro on the lowest setting and let it go continuously. I wait for a couple minutes and blow my screamer for a 10-15 second series. I wait for 15 minutes and blow the screamer again, all the while the foxpro is playing. If nothing comes in I take one last long look around for movement then stand up & try another stand.

When sitting or lying on your stand be as still as you possibly can. They have good eyes and can see small movements like you licking your lips from a long distance. When you have one coming in chances are you need to move your rifle into position. Watch the coyote's eyes and don't move while he's looking your way. At some time or another he will look away from you, slowly make your move. If he picks up your movement, you need to freeze. Only move when he's not eying you. Make sure you have some sort of structure behind you, don't be "sky lined." A decoy away from your position helps. it can be one of the motorized decoys or something as simple as a feather tied to a bush. Something to get his attention away from you. When you have him in the scope and he has that look of, "oh [email protected]%t this is going to hurt" squeeze the trigger, don't jerk it. You'll do fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts