Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In one pack??? The most I ever saw was 3 at one time and I have seen 3 several times, but a neighbor was Muzzle Loadin Deer huntin' a few days ago and saw 6 at one time. He dropped One and of course the rest vammoosed before he could reload. He said he thought they may have been a family as most of them appeared to be 2006 models with at least one old dog. He went back to the same area the next 2 mornings and did not see any Coyotes or Deer either. Another neighbor told me he and his wife saw a Momma Coyote and 6 or 8 half grown pups cross the road in front of his house this past summer.... (I cannot vouch for this last report but the guy who saw 6 is telling the truth.) Keep in mind this is KY and they do not travel much in the daytime.

I have been having "back problems" for a few weeks so I have not been out much; wish Voldoc was a Chiropractor instead of a Tooth Mechanic.

·
Registered
460 Posts
In early December I was hunting in Wyoming, where it is very open country and a lot of game. We came up on a group of coyotes on a bluff that took off running. When all of them took off, I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me again and it was a small herd of speed goats.

We just sat in the jeep stunned by so many in one gang. We counted 7 coyotes running off. The previous record for me was a gang of 6.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Called in 7 once...................

Have called in several groups of 4 & 5 but 7 was the most. Called in 3 today right on the east edge of Blackfoot. They worked my 2 Catahoula's pretty good. You can tell the breeding season is on. It was a good experience for my Catahoula pup. I have shown him a bunch of coyotes lately.
Kirk

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
For adult coyotes I have seen 2 together, I have also seen a female with 2 pups. 99% of the time I only see them as singles.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I have only seen 4 come in at one time,........

the coyotes all came in single file as if they were chasing each other to the call. We killed two of them and missed the other two.

Once I had two coyotes, a fox, and a bob cat appear at the same time from different directions in Mexico...coyotes took precidence. We ended up killing one coyote and the fox ran off then came back in which we shot.

I have only shot a double on bobcats twice. Shot one off a rock that was about 20 feet tall, then a couple of minutes another one appeared.

·
Registered
357 Posts
This is gonna sound like a load of bull

but I was out with a buddy (don't remember if it was Brad or Chad, but they can chime in) and we saw 12 come out of a coulee. It was near Wicksville SD. Looked to be 4 adults and the rest were nearly mature. Biggest problem was they were on private and posted land. All we could do was watch and count.

·
Registered
240 Posts
John in Ca and I were out out his large farm area last year and saw 11 at one time in the 2mi or so field. This is the same field he posted about the other day with the ditches and adjacent farms, etc. Of course we didnt get any that day. Probably too many eyes and noses to do any good.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've seen six together this year while deer hunting, lets just say 4 of them made it to thick stuff and ecaped to chas deer another day.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The most I've called at once was 7. 5 came in to the decoy and only two left. A triple with a bolt gun is hard to repeat....

·
Registered
870 Posts
Called in five

at the same time twice in my life, one was last weekend. I called in six at the same time inside the Phoenix city limits, in a wash that was being used by a concrete company that makes sewer pipes, just for the fun of it no shooting around the houses very populated area. The coyotes were bedding down in an area that was used for broken pieces. Two years ago I called in a pair and there were two others hold up on a retention dam 400 yards away, figured they must have been from the same group, only killed one.

·
Registered
693 Posts
five

one of my favorite calling spots is an old gravel pit that overlooks a nice long section of Elm Creek. I'll pull over and call from there, even though it's prairie dog season or I'm deer hunting. I can park and hide my truck and make a nice 400 yard walk to the old pit - if the wind is right, none of my sounds / smells will hit the valley.

fall of the year, right after the VHA jamboree - I was out prairie dog hunting and stopped. before calling, I glassed the basin and saw 5 coyotes across the pasture. It appeared to be two adults and three pups, 3/4 grown. I got myself set and blew a mouth call, two pups came - but they saw something they didn't like and veered off. I lost track of the other three watching the two come running.

once I gave up on the first two, I turned my attention to the valley floor, the three left behind had come about halfway, but were still 400 yards out. I gave a few squeeks and two came... one adult and one pup. they approached to within about 120 yards and I killed the first with my .22-250AI - dead right there. thru a prairie dog scope, a coyote is a HUGE target!

I really screwed up when I cycled the bolt - ended up jamming the action with spent brass... by the time I got the gun cleared, I figured my chances were either slim or none. I actually had to tip the gun over and shake out the spent piece of brass, seemed like it took forever...

when I got back behind the scope, the pup was still standing there... but not for long. two, dead within 4 yards of each other.

at the time, I was gathering skulls - so I harvested both. those summer time coyotes STINK! when I got the skulls back from the beetle box, I was pleasantly surprised with the young coyote's skull. it has primary teeth pushing out "baby teeth"... very cool...

the other interesting thing, I shot the pair just a week after killing two pups at the den - with Fuzz as my witness... the size difference between the two different litters of pups was huge, the first pair was about the size of a house cat... small targets!

that skull finished into an interesting sample, too.

normally, I see pairs where I hunt, but glassing five at once was pretty cool... if I had night vision - I bet I would have seen a dozen one night in the cottonwoods of Wyoming, thanks to DAA's howling...............

-niv

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Packs in Decembers past

Jim in Idaho and Mike in Fresno both witnessed some big numbers here, like they say.

In fact, I have the pack of nine recorded on film. That day Jim called, and I ran the camera, he got one to break away from the "herd" and I shot her. The others were 500+ yds away. And it got dark on us.

One other board member, Tyler in Ca, came down in 1999, and we decided to get set up 700 yards apart, near two dirt roads on the farm. Sure enough, like I had told him, the howling started just before dusk. We stayed in touch with 2-way radios. He whispered "get ready, you have 4 coming down your road John"........and while waiting....I called him back, to tell him I saw 3 head up the path that he was guarding! Funny thing was, I missed mine at 30 yards, by laying TOO low in the hayfield, and the bullet hit foliage, and not fur! :( Tyler put the hurt on one with his 22-250. So we went 1 for 7 that day.

Recently I saw another string of 11 parading thru a field, just as I was approaching my truck, hidden next to some equipment, not 400 yds away. And almost too dark to see.

I believe this always has happened in December.

·
Registered
12,885 Posts

i called in 4 in one pack. young dog's got 2 that day had my AR :D

·
Registered
753 Posts
I called in 4 a long time ago that came in like a team of horses -- 2 in front - side by side - and 2 right behind them - side by side. This was one of my first calling experiences and I never touched a hair. The year was 1974 and I can close my eyes and see those coyotes plainly, even today. Good memories --- Thanks for reminding me!

·
Registered
250 Posts
A number of years ago, maybe 15, a friend and I used a small recoder/player to run a Johnny Stewert tape. We had set up on a hillside of a big hollow with a small creek in the center. after about 10 minutes we had 7 coyotes in the creek bottom and on the hillside across from us. This area had never been called before and has never produced any dogs from calling since. I think we educated them that morning. And no we never killed a dog.......Roger

1 - 20 of 42 Posts