Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When compared to say a 20 inch model? I really like the 16, it's very handy to get around with.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Velo loss.

I did a bunch of tests some years back, over my Chrony with GI 55gr ball ammo in 20 HBAR, 16 CAR, a HK 53, 14 T/C and several bolt actions out to 26". Bottom line, the velocity change was 29fps/inch of length change. So, you should lose around 120fps.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tinman. Son In Law has a 20 incher

but as of yet we haven't shot either one of them over the chrono. Had been wondering about it. These AR's are a real hoot.

·
Banned
1,296 Posts
All barrels are different, but 30-40 FPS/inch is probably very realistic. And it will vary with bullet velocity as well as with each individual barrel.

I find the 16" barel handier to use and I don't worry about a little velocity loss in the 223 Rem AR. I doubt I'll be shooting a 223 Rem AR over 300 yards regularly anyway, so any ballistic difference is going to be nil for the most part.....if you can see it at all.

-BCB

·
Registered
66 Posts
You need to remember that it also has to do with the burning rate of the powder. In the chart above those are fairly fast burning powders in the 223.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts