Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Either tumble them or wash them in Dawn dish soap

Use rice or some cheap tumble matial no need to mess up the good tumble material or go to the pet store and get cheap corn cob.
Notice I'm cheap or if you have $$$ fugal.

LEN

·
Registered
735 Posts
It depends on what kind of bullets they are. I have a couple hundred moly'd Bergers and whatever is on those things is there to stay. So far nothing has worked. They've resisted everthing....Dawn, and every nasty liquid in the shop from MEK to lacquer thinner. Tumbling is supposed to work. We'll see.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I have heard Dawn dish soap works, but have only tried it once and they came kinda clean, not shiny new, but the moly was diminished enough I didn't worry about it.

Mike

·
Registered
960 Posts
molly

On bullets I mollied coated myself tumbled in a plastic peanut butter jar with corncob media and a little bit of mineral spirits. I put the jar in a rotary tumbler and let it run for an hour and they cleaned up well. I gave up on molly coating, it's just not worth the mess.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
try shooting it off.....

a fast pass down a rifle barrel will get some of it off.....:D

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Dawn has worked for me

on Hornady factory moly-coated bullets. The key is to use the very hottest water you can get - hot water from the tap and bring it to near boiling in a microwave. Then add a generous dose of Dawn-brand dish soap, then the bullets. Swirl them around and keep the water moving. I use a big old plastic vitamin bottle for a container. One or two shots like the above and they come out a frosty copper grey-pink color in a few minutes. Then into the tumbler to shine them up.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I found something by pure accident that may help out.

I sprayed some moly dry lube on a 10/22 action/receiver for use as a dry lube, of course it ran out and dripped on the floor, being the luck I have it was right on wifes side of bed :rolleyes:

Tried everything I could get my hands on to begin with, and 99% alcohol wiped it up like it was still wet.

It's worth a try, maybe this will help you out

Clint

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
Good Answer Bruce ! LOL ! ! !

a fast pass down a rifle barrel will get some of it off.....:D
And, I would guess that about 3,800 fps also ! :D I have personally switched
to Danzac and like it much better if for no other reason that after coated and
polished in media for a few minutes I get virtually no mess on my hands when
reloading. Never tried it (yet), but GoJo Fas Orange Pumice hand cleaner sure
gets it off my hands real good and quickly. So, I have several thousand
bullets mollied and may give the GoJo a try in a tumbler with some media
mixed in. Guess one would have to give them a good washing afterwards.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I found something by pure accident that may help out.

I sprayed some moly dry lube on a 10/22 action/receiver for use as a dry lube, of course it ran out and dripped on the floor, being the luck I have it was right on wifes side of bed :rolleyes:

Tried everything I could get my hands on to begin with, and 99% alcohol wiped it up like it was still wet.

It's worth a try, maybe this will help you out

Clint
I got some walmart pet section walnut and the moly came off great on bullets I molyed myself but factory molyed bullets were rough.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.