Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw where Howa is advertising a light weight varmint model. Just wondered if anyone knows anything about it. I need a new carrying rifle, one that's easy to pack, yet still accurate for those 300 yard shots. I use a Rock River AR-15 heavy barrel most of the time, but it's a pain to carry very far. I shoot a Ruger 17HMR for close in calling, but I wish I has something that could do both.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Howa light rifle

I have one in 243 and I like it alot. Came with a crappy wood stock, had to put it in a crappy plastic one to get the bedding right. It makes a great all day carry rifle for deer or varmints. My shoots an average of one inch groups with any where from 55 grain bt to 100 grain spire points. After I finish my six other projects I am going to buy a nice stock for this gun. Now that you can buy just the barreled action that is the way to go.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I just purchased a Howa 1500 SS in a 223. It came with a pretty nice Boyd Wood Laminated Stock NIB. I don't know exactly how it was all put together, but I thought I got a screamin' deal on it online. Can't say how it shoots since I think I'm going to re-barrel it to a 17 caliber anyway. Probably won't shoot it.

It will be getting a do-over regardless.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts