Varmint Hunters Forum banner

Howa

2K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  ghostsmoke55 
#1 ·
just was wondering what everyone thought of them? Thinking of the .223 in the sporter.their are others I'd rather have but the price caught my eye.

#3 ·
The Howa's are good guns , generaly pretty good accuracy after the basic tune up ie trigger adjustment , bedding and recrown,

The actions are actualy great to build on , their very stiff good bedding shape , already setup for the best extractor out their (m-16 style).

The barrels leave a bit to be desired as far as fouling goes but after a good break in and a little hand lapping their no worse than any other hammer forged tube.

If the price is right and and you like the feel and look jump on it , your chances of getting a lemon from any other mass produced gun maker are getting greater everyday , so whats to loose

#4 ·
I have a Howa 223 heavy barrel. It came with the synthetic stock which I replaced with the thumbhole varmint and pillar bedded the action. The trigger is adjusted down to approx 1 1/2 pounds and a break was added to the barrel.
It will shoot consistent 1/2 inch groups with loads it likes. Overall a good PD gun for the money.

#5 ·
I had one that shot pretty good when I got it. After a trigger tune and a bedding job, the squirrel population was reduced by large numbers. I'd buy another, they're great rifles!

Steve

#6 ·
I have a new Howa Sporter, thinking of selling...

I have a new-in-the-box, blued Howa 1500 Sporter barreled action in 223 Remington, and also have the Howa wood sporter stock that goes with it. Never used. Haven't used it because I have a Cooper in the same caliber. Couldn't resist buying it because I like the Howas (I have four), and was thinking about converting it to a 20VarTarg. However, I have ordered a Cooper in 20VarTarg. So, if you are interested I will sell both for $375 plus shipping/insurance.

Glenn

#7 ·
I've said it many times before on the forum and I will say it again. Howa's are the best value for the money on the rifle market at this time. I have a ultra light in 243 and have sold 15 or 20 over the last few years. None have come back for anything other then a trigger job. All seen to shoot pretty good, not bad for less then $400.

#8 ·
Correct me if I'm wrong,

But several years back I was told my a gun dealer that Howa's are made in the same factory as Weatherby and the Japanese made Brownings. And having had 2 Japanese made Brownings that shoot extremely well, I'd say that all things being equal, the Howa should be a good buy for the money.

But then again, that has already been said.:)

#13 ·
I've considered Howa's in the past too because of their supposed accuracy, excellent machining, and business alliance with Weatherby. However, the one thing that has always stopped me is the limited number of varmint/tactical stock options/makers for them. I just don't like the factory laminated varmint stocks and haven't seen a suitable synthetic replacement.

Chris

#14 ·
Howa Rifles

I own 2 Howa's. One is a 2250 witha 24 inch heavy barrel, the other is a 223 with a standard 22inch barrel. Both are excelllent rifles.. The trigger is very easy to adjust and they are very accurate. Fit and finish is great and the action is smooth. You use the same bases that a remington 700 uses. Love mine and enjoy them. Have taken many of a coyote with them. Buy the rifle you will not regret it. Ghost.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.