Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a 22br on one of the other boards, I was just wondering how the barrel life on a 22br compares to a .223 or 22-250.
It is built on a sleeved 722 action and looks nice in the pictures.

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
329 Posts
I saw a 22br on one of the other boards, I was just wondering how the barrel life on a 22br compares to a .223 or 22-250.
It is built on a sleeved 722 action and looks nice in the pictures.

Thanks
Dave
About the same as a .22-250.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I agree with Cat shooter, barrel life is on par with ...

a 22/250. I put 800 rounds through the one that I had in a week, and throat wear I though was exactly what I would expect from a 22/250.

In otherwords, the barrel wear is much less than a 223.

On the flip side, the 22 BR has the extended range of the 22/250 also. So, it will depend on what your needs are. If you needed that extra punch at 400 yards, then the 22 BR would be a great way to go.

On the 22 BR that I had, I shot p. dogs on a pasture one afternoon. The pasture was a perfect rectangle with the shot from one side of the pasture being exactly 400 yards. We parked the truck on one side of the fence where there was a gap in the trees, using the trees as cover. The dogs were thick out in front of us, but on the opposing fence line at 400 yards, there was a p. dog every 3-4 feet it seemed. I shot 600 rounds out of the 22 BR at those dogs on the opposing fence line, using a 223 on the shots out to 300 yards with a total rounds fired that day of 1100 rounds. In the 22 BR, I was shooting 31.5g of R#15 with a 50g Blitz. When the blitz started grey streaking pretty bad, I knew that it was time to let the barrel cool off. There was a slight breeze of about 5mph blowing in a direct cross wind to us, so the sound was completely blown away from the p. dogs that we were shooting. We never moved the truck all day long and My hunting partner also shot 1000+ rounds of 223,6x47, and 6 BR, we really worked that pasture over.

The two brothers that owned that pasture were simply tickled to death at all the dead dogs out there.

The 22 BR is really a very accurate varmint cartridge, but it does generate the heat exactly like the 22/250 but using slightly less powder.

I would not have gotten rid of the 22 BR except for that cursed Remington brand of brass which I think is pure junk due to it being so soft.

·
Registered
329 Posts
a 22/250. I put 800 rounds through the one that I had in a week, and throat wear I though was exactly what I would expect from a 22/250.

In otherwords, the barrel wear is much less than a 223.
Keath... I'm confusalated, how come the barrel wear is LESS than the .223?? Maybe MORE than the .223 ;) ;)

I would not have gotten rid of the 22 BR except for that cursed Remington brand of brass which I think is pure junk due to it being so soft.
I found the same thing... the Rem brass I got for my 6mmBR was crap, and I threw it away when I bought Lapua!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts