Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well...guess I should have went out this morning.
Elijah went and got a 8 pt. Seen another little 6 and a few does.
He got it with his "baby" Win 70 264 120 gr bt
He also got a partial ring on his forhead...lol shooting lay'in downhill somewhat
off bipods about 400 yards. He killed it within 100 yards where he killed
the 8 last year but from the opposite direction. The 120s do a super job
at that distance, through both shoulders. He run about 50 yards and flipped.
I'll try to post a pic but may have to get JR or Charlie to post it.

Underdog...the 1 that cant find a deer...lol

·
Administrator
12,875 Posts
Congrats! That'll make momma happy. Interesting you mention the 120 NBT's. We are using them in Lillie's 7TCU and they are really accurate, but rarely exit and even have jacket separation issues. The doe she got last month entered between ribs quartering to us slightly, and the jacket lodged in the belly meat in front of the ham. Didn't hit any bone. Probably only running them at 2500 fps. I would think in the 264WM they are over 3000 easily and would blow up instead of blow through.

·
Registered
13,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Charlie, he's killed several deer with them and about all of'em have been straigh through.
Really impressed with'em. Even at 400, it went through both shoulders. And really messes
up the insides of'em up.

·
Administrator
12,875 Posts
yeah I guess the added velocity helps blow right through. Her doe was hit about perfectly and only ran 50 yards maybe but didn't leave any blood trail. Had it not been laying there I would have probably given up and said she missed. I want to try a 139 gr Hornady interlock spire point. Maybe added mass and tougher bullet will hold together and poke through? I just haven't had a chance to go to load any and go to the range.

·
Registered
13,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
JR...he's hunted with it since he was 6.
Melissa's dad got 2 of'em...a 700 off Murphy and a model 70.
He wanted Tucker to have the 700 since it was Murphy's and he put
a bell and Carson stock on the Win and it took about all the kick out of it so
he figured Elijah could shoot it. We was.at Danny's range 1 day and he had it there busting skeet at 400. He looked and motioned to see if Elijah wanted to shoot it
and I asked. He said sure, shot at a skeet and just went a few inches right. He raised up and said, dad, that didn't kick any more than the 243. I said now that you know it don't kick, just the skeet...and he did the second time he pulled the trigger.
IN said ,well, take it home with you...lol He's hunted with it ever hear since.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts