Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems that we have an example of just because we have some technology, we must therefore use it,
This board design is far too complicated for me.
The old design was so very easy to use as well as intuitive.
Now the forum takes up twice as much space on my monitor than before.
I can no longer simply glance at the posts and read replys from the folks I have high regards for their opinions. I now have to open every single topic to see who replied. I'm hopeful that Mike and John are keeping track of the volume of posts and replys so a comparison can be made against the old design. This same thing happened on my favorite tool discussion board and the administrator finally agreed that the simple forum just like we used to have here was the best and easiest to use for not only knowledgable users, but older guys that are not computer savvy, and brand new users as well.
When I went to my favorite varmint board and it was gone and I finally found my way to this, I was simply depressed beyond belief. I never figured that Mike and John would cave to the technology and follow on the coatails of what everybody else is trying. Oh well, That's just a personal opinion from a 50 year old fuddy-duddy. I would guess that most of the younger guys are more open minded about stuff like this. I like polished blued steel and walnut too................
Best of luck to all, and so many thanks to Mike and John for the last several years of fun an knowledge they have brought to me.

·
Registered
751 Posts
just change the view to "threaded" and you'll be fine....

This board is a huge improvement. Like anything else it'll take a bit of actually usiing it to figure it out.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hey Jeff .. glad you found you way here...but

Mike and John did not really have a choice. The old software was not longer supported and it was a matter of time, and the time is now, to switch to something else.

So do not be down too much. :)

I to perferred the older format but the format did not make the site..the people did. So now you found you way here give it time and help make the GGVG what it was, is, and can be. Ok.

Merry Christmas,
DB

p.s. There is a poll on here for which format. As of last night the new format had a bit more than half that like it so that is a good thing. The glass is half full so to speak.

·
Administrator
1,552 Posts
"Polished blued steel and walnut"...

What an excellent analogy with the old format. I rather like blued steel and walnut as well but am afraid to take a nice piece of walnut into the field so I settled for laminates on my field guns.

Anyway, as one of the administrators I also am having a hard time accepting the new format. Guess we could call it the "Stainless steel and synthetic" format. The ONLY reason we went to this format was because the old format's software ceased functioning in this new age of server technology and configuration. This new format is ten times the work of the old.

I hope you'll hang in there and keep trying to get used to it like we are.

Best regards and a hearty agreement with you from a forty-seven year old fuddy-duddy.

·
Registered
6,282 Posts
If you cruise in an out to see what is new, just click on "new posts" and you will be updated. I do miss being able to see all of the what for sale items under "view all"

T.D.C.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I work with computers for a living and I am 50 also. However, I lament the loss of the old Board. This new technology is a PITA to navigate, find things, and get a brief update in a busy world.

I understand that the old does not work with the new, I change out things everyday. One thing about this new format, it has helped me to be more empathetic to my users of the new technology I implement.

God does work in mysterious ways!

Merry Christmas John and Mike and Everyone!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Time marches on...

Time marches on with us.......or without us. There are some things I liked about the old board and some things I like about the new board. That said, it's the new board that we have to live with, sooo, we'll move forward accordingly.:D

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
new board

The old board was user tweakable in appearance, the new board even more so. I hated what came up on my screen when I first started with the new forums. The option is the new or no GGVG though so I tweaked on the settings until the board suited me better.

One great feature is the User CP. You are usually automatically subscribed to threads you post into but you can also subscribe to threads you are just watching. The first thing I do when I visit several sites I frequent with this software is open up User CP and check threads I am watching. Then I do a general scan.

Time marches on. I hate change but I also have fought obsolete software. It bites to be out on a limb with no support from the makers of the software. Mike and John put up with this for more years than I would have. However, the new server and the old software were not working and playing well together so change was no longer an option.

Hu

·
Registered
571 Posts
I know this sounds goofy, but

keeping the old colors is really important to me. With that accomplished, I can learn to navigate the new format. Hell, I'm even learning things that I can use on other forums!

·
Registered
93 Posts
DB,

Fair enough that the old format was a dinosaur and no longer supported; that happens in IT/high tech. But why not retain the features that so many found attractive? I know Mike and John didn't write this software, but someone did; are they receptive to feedback? Is there other software out there with security features that we want and the look/feel that we have come to love?

Agree with you that it's the people here who make the board, but count me among those who do not like the new look.

Vardoc

·
Registered
169 Posts
DB,

I know Mike and John didn't write this software, but someone did; are they receptive to feedback?

Is there other software out there with security features that we want and the look/feel that we have come to love?

Vardoc
I'm not an IT expert by any means, but I'm pretty sure the answer to both questions is "NO". Or at least "NO' unless you want to spend big $$$$ for custom developed sofware.

I'm not all that fond of the new format just yet, but I'll get used to it. In the meantime, all those grousing about it are welcome to contribute several tens of thousands of dollars to MIke and John to have a new custom software developed.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Unless this is the only board you visit, you will already have the major aspects of this software down pat. Because this is the format of almost every other board out there.

The old way? Well, do you remember all the "hair trigger" posts, the "what I meant to type" posts, the "how do I remove my ad" posts, and the "help with with this picture" posts? Maybe the old way wasn't so good ater all, huh? If all you miss is the way you viewed the threads, you can still have that. But if you were constantly frustrated by all the limitations of the old board, you may celebrate the new.

Or you can revert to the really old way and stare at your typewriter by kerosene light. LOL!

·
Banned
1,296 Posts
My friend really screwed up....

He bought a new house on a different street from where he lived for 20 years.

The house is a different color, the drive way is sloped differently, the doorbell sounds different (a totally different door, too) , and when I went inside the first couple of times, I had to be reminded where the bathroom is. I knew exactly where it was in the old house.

I'm never going back.....it's just too much for me to deal with..... I wonder if I can talk him into buying his old house back (with all the problems like a leaky roof and a bad foundation) because I like it better than his new house.

I'm gonna' miss my friend though....I hope he comes to see me occasionally at my house....where I'm totally comfortable. I hate it when other people do things to improve their life and it complicates my life by making me learn something new....

-BCB :D

·
Registered
95 Posts

The house is a different color, the drive way is sloped differently, the doorbell sounds different (a totally different door, too) , and when I went inside the first couple of times, I had to be reminded where the bathrom is. I knew exactly where it was in the old house.

I'm never going back.....it's just too much for me to deal with..... I wonder if I can talk him into buying his old house back (with all the problems like a leaky roof and a bad foundation) because I like it better than his new house.

I'm gonna' miss my friend though....I hope he comes to see me occasionally at my house....where I'm totally comfortable. I hate it when other people do things to improve their life and it complicates my life by making me learn something new....

Perfect!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The latest approval ratings..........

I see that the latest approval rating on the new board design stands at 53%.
If our newly acquired varmint rifle could only hit the target 53% of the time, I guess we could say it was unusable, did not meet our expectations, and was a failure at its intended purpose. With literate board members being the target, and this forum being the means to deliver the information to that target, a percentage number like that certainly seems to be a failure as well. I'm off my soap box now. I'll stop back in in a week or so instead of my normal daily visits to see how things are going. I should be cooled off by then...........!!!!!
Thanks again to Mike and John for all your efforts as well as your open mindedness concerning this.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'll stop back in in a week or so instead of my normal daily visits to see how things are going. I should be cooled off by then...........!!!!!
Thanks again to Mike and John for all your efforts as well as your open mindedness concerning this.
"Normal daily visits?" The new board has been up for 7 days, and your just now finding it today? You registered today and have posted twice, you need to take some time and play with the site. There are a lot of features you need to try out. Click on the Quick Link tab at the top, when it drops down click on today's post. This will show you list of every post made today. Read through what you like. The next time you visit, do the same thing. The list will be smaller, and you will see the post that have not had any activity since your last visit.

When you get that new gun and it only shoots 53% good the first time out, do you stop and throw in the towel, or do you work with it and see if you can make it better? Give it a chance. Phil

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Have your cake and eat it too!!

Seems that we have an example of just because we have some technology, we must therefore use it,
This board design is far too complicated for me.
I never figured that Mike and John would cave to the technology and follow on the coatails of what everybody else is trying.
Well, Jeff...I hope you don't leave before (as someone said) go to the "User CP" and select "Threaded" view. That way when you click on a topic, it will give you the old tree style view with who replied to who and in what order,
as WELL as having all the neat bells n whistles this package has.

And, apparently you were not monitoring the huge amounts of problems that Mike and John were having trying to maintain the old software. Jeff, the old stuff is not supported anymore!! Think of it as "they don't make parts for that unit anymore so you're on you own!"

Mike and John jumped thru hoops to try to keep the old program, but if you were monitoring the board as much as some do, the multiple period EVERY DAY most certainly got to be a burden waaaaaay beyond what these guys should ever have to put up with. You can rest assured, the program was not changed for the sake of change. They went kicking and screaming as we all have done to keep the old format.

Try the "threaded" view. I think you will see something familiar. It is very much like the old AR board where older threads had only the starter line, but after you click on it, the tree pops up and you will feel right at home.

After a while, using the threaded mode, I think you will (like me) come around to it and appreciate the huge improvement in reliability and edit tools this new board has.

I think Mike and John did a terrific job :) in selecting a new platform for carrying the GGVGers. You give it a chance, and I think you will like it too. (I say that and I'm an old phardt as well. IF I can do it, so can you, buddy! Besides...I would miss your input.:D)

Do it! Set your display to "threaded" and see if something familiar doesn't come into view when you click on a topic from now on!!

P

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I wouldnt know a good from a bad....

formatt. I just peck my way through and ask for help when needed. Like this board and enjoy many of the posts and pics.
Thanks John and Mike and Merry Christmas to ALL

·
Registered
568 Posts

The house is a different color, the drive way is sloped differently, the doorbell sounds different (a totally different door, too) , and when I went inside the first couple of times, I had to be reminded where the bathrom is. I knew exactly where it was in the old house.

Bulls eye! great analogy BCB and great points Rocky Raab.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts