Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the Dan Thompson desert (or dessert) caller. I am having difficulty getting any consistancy on my yote calls. I am rolling the upper lip back and pushing down. are the teeth supposed to be doing something?? I got a GREAT call 1 time. but now I can't seem to duplicate it or remember exactly how the heck I did it :mad:

thanks guys ;)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Here is how I do it.

How I make a coyote howl. It is difficult to explain in words how to make a greeting howl, but I will give it a try. The greeting howl is 2 or 3 barks followed a 2 to 3 second high pitched howl. It takes a lot of practice to get it right. To make the two or three barks at the start you put about 80% of the Dan Thompson Red Desert mouthpiece in your mouth (with the reed up) and do a sharp fast "huff" into the call and at the same time you pull the mouthpiece out of your mouth about a quarter of an inch. The long howl at the end starts like a bark, but you pull the mouthpiece out of your mouth about half way and squeeze on the reed to make the pitch go higher. The challenge bark has the 2 or 3 barks followed by a high pitched howl for about 1 second. During the short howl, the pressure is varied to make the variable pitch during the howl. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Varmint Al is right on the money

on the methology to make the sound. Although I've had my absolute best luck with the Primos "Hot Dog" and "Lil Dog" calls when it comes to "howling".

I argued back and forth for almost 20 minutes with one one evening last fall before he and another both came in at the same time........ neither lived to tell about it. Mouth calls are difficult to master, but once you find the combination that works in your area on your 'yotes.... you'll never pick up an electronic. Trust me. WD

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
a 2 to 3 second high pitched howl

that is the part I seem to have the most difficulty getting. I do not have the mouth position vs reed pressure quite figured out yet.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Do you think Primos are easier to blow, than the Red Desert Howler? I myself have a hard time getting the howl right. I like mouth calls best, but seems like a lot of people are using FoxPro nowdays. Darrel

·
Registered
45 Posts
The red desert is worth learning! Pic.

I love Dan's Howlers but they do take some practice! Don't give up to soon. I use my front teeth(tooth) in about the center of the the reed to put some pressure on the reed.Try getting the barks down first then the lonesome howl.It is just a long drawn out howl.Once you can carry out the long howl you can shorten it and put it with the barks.The Red Desert is loud for Illinois! I like the Sweetwater which is a little shorter than the Red Desert(same mouthpiece).Check Dan's web site for the different Howlers http://www.danthompsongamecalls.com/coyote_howler.htm Here is a pic. of 3 coyotes called in on one stand with the Sweetwater Howler in Wy. last Fall.The forth one in the group made it out a little smarter that day :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts