Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Uncle Clarance passed away this past Sunday. I told my boss that I needed Wed off for his funeral. He told me if I took the day off I would be fired. He said my attendance has been lacking. He's full of chit. My attendance hasnt been bad. My boss is a control freak. Kinda got me over a barrel. What do I do? OD

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
What would your uncle tell you to do?

Your uncle would understand. Besides, funerals are for the living...NOT those that have passed on. Going or not will not bring back your uncle. So, I would talk with the other family members and let them know what is going on, should you decide not to possibly jeparadize your job. You can go by and pay your respects after work, if you wish.

As for your current job...You get what you settle for. If you can't afford the interruption in cash flow, then your decision is clear. Otherwise, take the chance and begin a search for a new employer.

Bottom line: Priorities...You have to take responsibility for U, cuz nobody else will. We can't always do what we would rather do, or do what others would rather we do. Anything we do has to be done in view of our priorities; if they're not compromised, then it is a matter of choice. Otherwise, we're kidding ourselves and will have to pay the piper...

You know what you must do...

P.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Paul

I know my uncle wouldnt want mr to lose my job. Like you said, cant afford the disruption in cash flow. But what a sorry S.O.B.

·
Registered
45 Posts
What Does Your

company policy say about breavement leave? Most common, is one day for an extended family member, ie uncle, aunt, grandfather, grandmother, ect ect.... Like someone else mentioned, I'd start looking for another employer if I were in that kind of situation. Good luck.

Bob

·
Registered
693 Posts
not ready to give advice, but

as you stated...

My Uncle Clarance passed away this past Sunday. I told my boss that I needed Wed off for his funeral. He told me if I took the day off I would be fired. He said my attendance has been lacking. He's full of chit. My attendance hasnt been bad. My boss is a control freak. Kinda got me over a barrel. What do I do? OD
if your attendance has been lacking as you boss claims, you would have a record of it in your file. something more than just conversation. if your company has anything related to progressive discipline in their manual - you should have received an oral warning (with a letter documenting it) - a 'guidance' letter, a written warning, etc... normally 30 days needs to pass between each step. at the 30 day mark, the level of discipline can be raised if you aren't responding or lowered if you've improved...

not sure if Ohio is a right to work state, but if that's the case, you can be fired without just cause... companies expose themselves to a fair bit of risk by flexing that option - but it may exist...

if I were in your shoes - I would ask for a sit down with you, your boss and either the HR director or your boss's boss. 3 people in the room... reach an agreement and get it documented. I don't know of anyone getting fired for just taking one day off - especially if you are giving them notice of your plans... I suspect there may be more to the story - situations like this there usually is...

sorry for your loss - good luck...

-joeniv

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
A thought or two

You own your CAREER but the Company owns the JOB...and that will never change, IMHO.

Suggest you work to develop the skills and work ethic that are in demand if you don't have them now. Remember you will always have options however sometimes they aren't necessarily great options.

I'd pass on the funeral and begin looking for a better work environment starting now. My guess is the Company "knows" about their Mgr and either doesn't care or are unwilling to deal with it.

Keep your head up..and do what is best for you and your family.

·
Registered
488 Posts
About 20 years ago, I found the same situation when my Grandmother died. I sent flowers and went to my job.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
About 20 years ago, I found the same situation when my Grandmother died. I sent flowers and went to my job.
That is exactly what I would do, in this situation. And the only thing to add, would be to let ALL other family know via phone calls before the funeral, the reason you will not be attending, so they fully understand, and eliminate any doubt or rumor that may arise later.:(

I am sorry for your loss

·
Registered
735 Posts
My guess would be that if you think your attendance "....hasn't been bad," it's more probably been lacking as the boss said. But no matter, he's the boss. If the boss says go and you lose your job, it shouldn't be a difficult decision.....either you go and lose your job, or you don't go and keep it. Life's full of decisions and this isn't something other people can decide for you.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Uncles funeral...

Your uncle would understand. Go to work, think of the good times you have lived with him. Do not give your employer the satisfaction of your mind that day. I would not speak of it to your employer. He does not deserve the satifaction of you sharing your uncles memories. Good luck!

·
Registered
81 Posts
not sure if Ohio is a right to work state, but if that's the case, you can be fired without just cause... companies expose themselves to a fair bit of risk by flexing that option - but it may exist...
It is Joe.Not sure Odi in Ohi is in Ohio though he has north coast as a location.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Having ben on both sides of this coin.
#1 Most Bosses(companies)allow time off for a close family member.Ask the boss specificly why he will not allow you time off and listen to his answer!!
#2 Improve your attendance,good attendance is important.The 3-2 flue or other poor excuse for not getting to work will come back to haunt you BAD!
#3 If you are not happy or agree with what your boss says look for a new job.Unless you change your bosses opinion of you, your job will always be in limbo!!! Better to find a new job on your terms not his!!
#4 HR should be the very last resort!!!!....edited for content.
#5 Makeing a liveing is second only to Family!!! If you aint makeing a liveing its hard to take care of family. Your call on your priorities!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts