Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i didnt post alot but i read it daily,the old forum was different than all the others sites we all frequent,im sure this one is new and improved though...im not complaning just not much for change i guess...

·
Registered
230 Posts
If it makes you feel any better....

i didnt post alot but i read it daily,the old forum was different than all the others sites we all frequent,im sure this one is new and improved though...im not complaning just not much for change i guess...

I prefer the old format too. I have seen this format on several other places and always like the old GGVG format best. I could process the posts and info faster on it than this type.

But with that said what makes this board good to me is not the format. So I have no big complaints.

DB

·
Administrator
1,552 Posts
Hey!! Don't forget about us!!...

It was MUCH easier to work with and a lot less time consuming. But, the old software is just plain dead. To many holes in it to be exploited by the spammers and the new servers don't like it much. :D :D

·
Registered
274 Posts
John
I hesitate to say this, because complaints can sound ungrateful, and I am very grateful for the forum you and Mike maintain. But I gotta tell you, I absolutely hate the new format. I dont log in near as much anymore, because it is a pain to navigate the threads and move around. I cant tell at a glance if I want to read something. I used to be able to cruise through the posts in seconds and catch up - the old format gave you a sense of time in netspace - you could easily see who had responded with new posts.

I think the success of your old website has a LOT to do with format, believe it or not. I think time will tell if your new site gets less hits or more. It is too bad about the spammers, but to be honest, I bet few people cared about that crap. Comes with the terrritory. I would rather have the spam and keep the old format if I could choose for myself.

Servers of course are another issue. If you cannot get the old one to work on the new server - what choice do you have.

Its a shame really, that what was perfect had to be changed.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Yep that is important...adminstration

It was MUCH easier to work with and a lot less time consuming. But, the old software is just plain dead. To many holes in it to be exploited by the spammers and the new servers don't like it much. :D :D
There was no choice but to move to the new software. And as has to be considered, since there is basically two of you, is the adminstrative side of things. If it makes y'alls life easier then it is worth it. We have to make these sorta decisions at work on the supercomputer platforms all the time. Never perfect but always better for one or more of the parties involved.

Or did you mean the older one was easier to work with?

I personally can process the old format better. But that is not to say I cannot learn a system with the new format. I take it as a challenge.

As always kudos to Mike and you for your work and understanding.

I wanted to see if I could edit your post as well. Mainly to add to it. Yes, I meant the old format was easier to work with. - John

DB

·
Registered
95 Posts
I personally can process the old format better. But that is not to say I cannot learn a system with the new format. I take it as a challenge.

DB
I can relate. I started in on the internet heavy in 1997, that was the year I got married and moved into my own home. I also foun GGVG about the same time, and up until last year, it was the only internet fourm I visited period!

Last year I bought my '68 Camaro and found that I needed a similar family that shared that intrest. I found a wonderful fourm that used this format and was LOST for the first couple of weeks. After a while, I could navigate pretty well and came to like that format beter than the old GGVG board. The change to the new format was a major plus for me, and I really think that anyone that is having second thoughts about spending time here should just give it some time and learn the ins and outs. I bet the membership and daily hits will far exceed the old board and after a couple more weeks nobody will be bringing up the old board at all. Phil

·
Banned
1,296 Posts
Go to the Display Mode menu.......

...on the top right side of the screen and chage your view to "Threaded Mode". It gives a thread a look much like the old forum. The viewed post is center screen and all the others are all shown in a box just above it.

If you like the looks of that mode, you can go to your User CP and make the change permanent there.

Just a thought....

-BCB

·
Registered
232 Posts
I like the old format as well, but give this one a chance, if the time to pull up a page improves I think it will be much better

Mike you should keep the old software ( if it's already paid for) and 1 year from now, try to go back to the old.. It's just change.... I hate it as bad as anyone

Mike please don't take all of our complaints the wrong way, you done a great job on the transition, and many long hours...

Clint

·
Registered
142 Posts
I liked the old board format better too . Maybe I just get too much "set in my ways" though . That's what my wife always tells me !

·
Registered
211 Posts
My main concern @ this point in time is, Why is this format SLOWER ??? I have a HI-speed connection & may functions just Plain Drag. Even the back function is 3x's slower then B-4. R -there just 2-many Bells & whistles ??? I'm here 2-Stay, Great Brd & Wealth of Knowledge, Just Wonderin ???

·
Registered
751 Posts
This format is at least a 100% improvement over the old one.

Much easier to keep track of threads, don't have to scroll down through a bunch of "threaded" posts to find something.

The search feature is much better....

The old forum was like an old VW, this one is like a new BMW.

It may take some of you "set in your ways" guys a while to get used to it, but once you do, you'll never want to go back to the old one.

·
Registered
5,285 Posts
Old one was much better

Yeah I know it had so much traffic that it had to change, but this new format is just like the other 500 on the net and I sure miss the old one. Yes, I also realize if you don't like it you don't have to look at it...

·
Registered
87 Posts
This new format is WAY better! I'm sure after a while it will be second nature to most all of us. vBulletin is the choice of many forums on the net for good reason. After the mods get it tweeked and open a few more areas for off topic threads. You will find that we will be able to come here and find the kind of posts that each of us is interested in much easier. The old board just buried most threads too darn fast. Thanks much Mike and John. WDO

·
Registered
230 Posts
Way Cooooollll

I wanted to see if I could edit your post as well. Mainly to add to it. Yes, I meant the old format was easier to work with. - John

Now how do I reply to that. Here is the best I could. Cool Dude!!!
That was interesting and fun. ;)
DB

·
Registered
95 Posts
There was no choice but to move to the new software. And as has to be considered, since there is basically two of you, is the adminstrative side of things. If it makes y'alls life easier then it is worth it. We have to make these sorta decisions at work on the supercomputer platforms all the time. Never perfect but always better for one or more of the parties involved.

Or did you mean the older one was easier to work with?

DB
That's an old screen shot John, I see an old name or two......

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Last year I bought my '68 Camaro and found that I needed a similar family that shared that intrest. I bet the membership and daily hits will far exceed the old board and after a couple more weeks nobody will be bringing up the old board at all. Phil
Good you found a new board for your expanded interest...To bad it had to be "F" bodies!!!:D Juuuussssst pullin yer tail. (I'll always have a spot in my heart for that first SS '67 Camaro that I drove...:) But, I always loved the Vettes best, personally.)

But, I digress... I'll miss the old format for all the reasons I and others have stated. But, it isn't like there was a choice, and I do like the meaty topics hanging around and automatically coming to the front...Like this one!

P.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Yes, I changed my default too, made it a lot better to get around. I think the new format will actually be better in the long run. It just something that folks will have to give time and get used to. A year from now it will be old hat!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts