Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got 350 Wichester brass for a 25-06 I don't have one but the brass was too good to pass up. I have LOTS of 25 cal bullets I have a 257 Roberts. So it's only right for me to get a 25-06 rifle. Looking at a Sako Finnlight it has the short barrel. Any Ideas on what I should get?
EricT

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
ah gee man,,I've built rifles because I had ONE round....

is there a rule you have to have more to justify a new rifle???:D
I had a Browning 78 in 25-06,,,I forget if it had a 26 or 28 inch barrel. Did 3/8" with Winchester factory ammo [90 gr Power Point]. I have no good reason as to why I sold it.
I have always [and now] thought that the Ruger #1 with a 26" barrel would be "right" for the 25-06. This round loves lots of barrel inches.

My very first centerfire rifle was the "new" 25-06 Remington chambered model 700 Remington BDL in the late 1960s/early 70s. Never did kill a deer with it,,,watched several does walk by with it at the ready but 'doe days' were few and far between back then. I did shoot it a LOT at a buddies home. They had reloading equipment in the basement,,and a shooting bench 20 feet from the basement door. Out across the pasture they had log bunkers at 100, 200 and 275 yards, a dirt bike to ride out to targets. His dad is the one that taught me to reload.
I remember picking up whole boxes of new once/just fired 30-06 cases at local dirt road firing/sight in locations [that were later closed because folks dumped stuff there]. A new 30-06 case in my mind was a new 25-06 with a pass thru the die.
Tell us all what you build.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Yep, I too would like a 25-06 and some day will have one for my Encore. As for having ammo for a gun you don't own, I have 500 S+W ammo and brass and reloading dies. Also have 460 S+W ammo but no dies or brass yet.

·
Registered
117 Posts
other direction

I have a 25-06 in a Ruger #1 that shoots great, but I think I want a 257 Roberts. Ruger makes one but not sure I want a Ruger MK II. I would love it in a Ruger#1, but they are hard to find at realistic price. Any suggestions on which rifle I should be looking at ?

·
Registered
233 Posts
is there a rule you have to have more to justify a new rifle???

Man Rule says: Having once even fondled a cartride of desire, you are entitled to obtain a firearm capable of firing said desired cartridge.

I have a Ruger 77 in 25-06 that I bought after an ejected round from another 25-06 grazed my arm at the range one day. I haver never looked back.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
OK,,,I'm actually going to use a crude,,,overused statment I abhore,,but

But it FITS here:

"YEAH MAN,,,,,,THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN' ABOUT!!!"

Man Rule says: Having once even fondled a cartride of desire, you are entitled to obtain a firearm capable of firing said desired cartridge.

I have a Ruger 77 in 25-06 that I bought after an ejected round from another 25-06 grazed my arm at the range one day. I haver never looked back.

Ok, last time I use that phrase. Hate to hear it on hunting shows!,,,BUT,,it DOES fit here!
Man,,,,I LIKE that Man Rule! I think I may be a rifle or 3 behind now~!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Eric...I feel your pain....

I have a Mauser action begging to be rebarreled. Really been considering the 25-06 myself.

But while unpacking some more reloading stuff from storage, I found over 200 nicely polished 30-06 cases. Headstamped: Frankfort Arsenal Match. :D

Decisions....decisions....

Wait...just remembered a slightly dinged up Savage 110 in 30-06 at a pawn shop. Now, how do I get this one past the wife without loosing my ability to urinate standing up?:eek:

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
25-06

EricT

I'm sure you'd be happy with the Sako Finnlight but I think the short barrel on the 25-06 is going to mean a big loss in MV. Kind of like getting a 264 Win Mag with a 22 inch barrel.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I have been hunting with the 25-06 since before it was commercially available. It is still my go-to caliber for hunting in Texas. With 75 to 85 grain bullets, velocity is second to only a few. With 115 to 120 grainers there is not a deer alive that the ctg is not capable of taking. Right now I have an older model stainless fluted Sendero that is like a laser. I have also had Rugers and custom 25-06 rifles which all shot well. To optimize the ctg, you will want a rifle with a longer barrel than the Finnlight provides. If you just have to get a Finnlight, look at another great caliber in the 260 Remington.

:D :D

·
Registered
254 Posts
I was given a box of 250 SAV a few years ago....

and they're still sitting on my shelf. But, I ponder one every now and again. Maybe time for a 250 AI? Hmm, what could I move to make cash for that? So far, have resisted the urge, but it's there.
-West

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
.250 Savage Improved,,,

Something about an efficient cartridge that makes the most out of the powder you feed it.
January 1, 2007 a coyote trotted across at 95 yards right where I hoped a venison deer would cross.
The yote got the 100 Ballistic Tip instead.

·
Registered
485 Posts
25-06 Rem.

I have a Tikka M695, SS/Laminate, in 25-06 Rem. It is kind of like a
budget Sako Finnlight. I love that rifle. Mine has a 22.5" barrel, and
I get good measured velocities out of mine. My loads measure very
close to the velocities published in load data, but I do stick with faster
powders, so the shorter barrel doesn't cost as much velocity. This
rifle is VERY accurate, and very easy to clean.

Yes I think you should get a .25-06 Rem. It really is hard to appreciate
them until you own one. This is one of those "Grunt, Grunt, More Power"
rifle chamberings, with out paying a big price at the shoulder. It does
one nasty job on deer sized game. Oh, and if you want to see "Coyote
Carnage", just shoot one with a 85 gr. Nosler Ballistic tip!:eek:

Squeeze

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
25-06

I to had the urge for one for a number of years. I finally found a new Savage heavy bbl w/ laminated stock for a price I just couldn't turn down. Yes the gun is heavy at over 12 pounds ready for hunting, but when I take that rifle, I just take a few things from my pack to make up the diff. It shoots much better than I would have thought. For deer I use lighter Barnes "X" bullets. I used to use 100 gr. BT, but I'm not sure after seeing them on neck shots how they would work if the only shot I have is front shoulder of a nice buck. The Barnes I have more faith in.
I also second getting at least a 26" barrel, it makes a big diff.

Steven

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
I have two. I have hunted deer with the .25-06 for about a dozen years. Shoot 4 or 5 Texas deer every year and other stuff - goats, pigs, etc, etc.

I have never had a whitetail deer walk more than 5 or 6 steps away after being shot. I have only had to shoot one animal twice - that was a big Mouflon Ram and that was all my fault... i was not familiar enough with the internals and shot him too high the first time. He made it about 10 steps before the 2nd shot dropped him.

I have made shots from 40 yards out to further than I wanted to because my heart was racing and it has never, ever let me down. My bolt action gun only liked the heavier 115-117gr rounds and I have not wrung out the new one - which happens to be an Encore in a stock I made myself. We shall see!

·
Registered
41 Posts
25-06

This thread really hit home-since I'm in the process of getting a 25-06 built. Using 30-06 Win 70 (with a drop out mag) and Shilen Select Match grade barrel. Barrel should be in any day now, and the work can begin....

I'm kinda frothing at the mouth to get it done, patience is a virtue with which I am unacquainted.

By all means, build the gun-you'll like it.

DirtyDingus

"Want" equals "need" when it comes to guns.http://www.varminthunters.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
:)

·
Registered
59 Posts
If I could only have one rifle for most of the hunting I do, deer and down size it would be my 25-06 with 117 Sierra's. If I had to step up to Elk size I would just go to the 120 Speer Grand Slam. I have killed over 100 deer with my 25-06 and it is the killing-est caliber I have ever pulled the trigger on. Like others have said in this post they do not run off 50 yards or so and die they just drop on the spot. I call my 25 my deer power switch. You pull the trigger and their power is off NOW. You need at least a 24 inch barrel and a 26 inch is better.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.