Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
and I think it should stop,,,,right after I post this one:D !
Paid full price for a new rimfire RATgun.
CZ 452 in 22LR. Guess a 17 Mach II could fit in same stock!
And I thought I was 'over' buying a rifle JUST for the wood.

·
Registered
84 Posts
alan,

that's a very nice stick !! i'm sure you're keeping watch for a CZ chambered in 17 rem FB with that kind of wood.

thx for the pics,

cajun blake <*)))>{

·
Registered
258 Posts
I got a couple

Of CZ 527 wood stocks that are soo pretty I'm afraid to take them into the woods.
My Hornet was kind of plain until I striped the finish and wow what i found under it. It wears a nice oil finish now.
I don't recomend stripping the finish on a CZ. I don't know what they use but it's close to the old Remington RSW (or RWS) finish, very difficut to remove.
I don't have any pics to show so it's not bragging. :D

·
Registered
142 Posts
OHMYGAWD, That is one beautiful chunk of wood!! I got a couple of CZ's with nice wood, but NOT that nice!! Bill

·
Registered
10 Posts
That's nice. I have not seen a CZ with the type of straight mineral streaking. Very cool. Strip the CZ "goo" off and hand rub in some good oil and the wood really comes alive. Here are three CZ's I've "tweaked" in various ways. L to R is a 527 in 223, 550 in 9.3X62, and finally the 452 in 17 HMR. The 17 is the ugly triplet but shoots lights out.

·
Registered
79 Posts
That's a good looking stock! A long time ago I went to buy a Thompson Center Hawken muzzle loading rifle, everybody said to get a 50 cal, when I went into the gun shop they had two different ones, a 45 and a 50, one look at the stock on that 45 made the decision, it had a gorgeous stock, the 50 cal was plain jane, so I got the 45!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've seen hundreds of CZs....however,,,

That's nice. I have not seen a CZ with the type of straight mineral streaking. Very cool. Strip the CZ "goo" off and hand rub in some good oil and the wood really comes alive. Here are three CZ's I've "tweaked" in various ways. L to R is a 527 in 223, 550 in 9.3X62, and finally the 452 in 17 HMR. The 17 is the ugly triplet but shoots lights out.

Although many had super nice fiddle and burl,,,I've only seen a few that had what you're calling "mineral streaking" and only in patches on stocks. Usually it was uneven as well.
Saw this one with "mineral streaking" on both sides and underneath too. Will show bottom and other side when I get light and the camera out together.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Just icing on the cake

That sure is a purdy stock!! I'd almost feel guilty takin it out huntin........................ALMOST
Just pickt up a light barreled CZ527 in 223,I'm already in luv and it ain't even ben fired yet:D I want that set trigger in EVERYTHING I own!!! It was a little iffy @ first but a little tinkering got the regular trigger down to 2# and the set goes off @ 4ozs with no creep or overtravel.The target that come with it was nothing spectacular but the barrel WAS rubbing real hard on one side....Hopefully it shoots as good as it feels and looks ;)

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
after dozens of CZ factory targets examined,,and then,,

and then shooting the rifle, we ignore the factory target as any indicator of the rifle's accuracy. We've shot several 221FBs that had so so factory test targets. Then with 20.5/1680/40Vmax loads,,they go into one hole or close to it.
All the factory test target indicates is wether or not the gun fires.

Be careful with the set trigger down around 4 oz. That's the point to where they want to fire by themselves when the bolt is closed. The rifle was on the bag,,and probably on paper, but a suprise that I don't want! Really,,,the 8-12 oz they normally are set at is so much better than other factory rifles that it's not worth the risk of '4 ouncing' the CZ 527 set trigger in my opinion. The buddy who's 4 oz set trigger went off when I closed his bolt likes them that way, tho!

·
Registered
726 Posts
Alan, your

stock needs to have more color in it. :)

Although beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I sure wish other companies used such good wood in their guns, as CZ does with theirs.

Lance in Orygun

·
Registered
169 Posts
Lance is right

Stocks need color!!!!

416 Rem Mag Coyote Gun

More than that?

Encore/VirginValley 22-250AI African Rifle (LOL)

That`s it, The expensive Olympus camera just crapped the bed. Dang I hate hi-tech japcrap.

·
Registered
10 Posts
????

Hey Alan, is the sear breaking when the bolt closes without the trigger "set"? The trigger has two adjustments. One is for the standard trigger pull and then the other adjustment is for the set trigger.

When the set trigger is engaged you do need to be very careful. I can give my rifle a good whack and get it to fire when in set mode. It should not fire when the set trigger is not engaged under any circumstances. If the rifle is firing when the bolt closes and without the trigger set it needs a little more sear engagement.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
CZ trigger,,,

it most likely had both trigger settings adjusted. He likes the unset at around 1 pound, too. I'm sure all had been tinkered with.
I don't remember if just setting the 'set' trigger screw down to 4 oz made it unreliable,,but I just don't think it's wise to adjust it down that far.
It's just my opinion. I'm not sure what 4 oz could do for you could do that 8 oz wouldn't.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Good morning....you must be an early riser as well:)

That's what I figured. I don't see any reason to adjust the standard trigger below 3 lbs. That is good enough for any "snap" shooting one may do. The set trigger is there for those nice, long, non-hurried shots.

I'd really advise your friend to increase the sear engagement on the unset trigger back and then use the set trigger for the lighter pull. I'm not an expert but have enough sense to know when I am getting into to something that is over my head. Many people try to achieve a light trigger pull with no idea of the mechanics behind it. The good thing about the CZ/Mauser design is the the safety actually cams the cocking peice/firing pin back off the sear. This is a much safer arrangement than a Rem 700 disconnector for example.

That rifle is an accident waiting to happen. I don't want to sound "preachy" but I know I would not want to walk around with someone carrying that rifle behind me. Take care

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on the trigger! I rechecked the trigger in unset condition and could not get it to go off with it set @ 2# but the set was a little too tuchy @ 4oz.Got it backed off to 8oz,realy cant tell the difference in pull but it is a lot more reliable and no doubt safer!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts