Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting started on a new rifle soon and need some advice from those of you that shoot a 280AI.The main purpose of this rifle is for an elk hunt to Wyoming in Oct '07 and to serve as a back up to my BLR in 308 if it will stay in the cabinet during deer season.What I am looking for is what kind of twist rate are you guys using ,what kind of bullets work best for you on elk,would also like to know OAL of your cartridges. How about barrel length?I don't want to get to long with it but still want to take advantage of the case capacity.So let me hear about it I'm sure i can come up with more ?'s.TIA

Steve

·
Registered
59 Posts
Help on 280 AI

Steve, maybe this info will help you. I have been shooting a custom built 280AI for about 20 years now and I also reload for it. The twist rate you're looking for is a 1 in 9 twist which will handle all the hunting bullet weights that you will be using. As far as the best bullets for this barrel twist, I use Barnes Triple-Shoks in 140 grain weight for whitetail, and if I were going after elk, I would step up to the 15o grainers. The load that my rifle likes is 60 grains of AA 3100 and the 140's, seated .015 off the riflng, with the Fed. 210M primer and Winchester brass. I hope this info proves useful to you.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Help on 280 AI

:) Steve, maybe this info will help you. I have been shooting a custom built 280AI for about 20 years now and I also reload for it. The twist rate you're looking for is a 1 in 9 twist which will handle all the hunting bullet weights that you will be using. As far as the best bullets for this barrel twist, I use Barnes Triple-Shoks in 140 grain weight for whitetail, and if I were going after elk, I would step up to the 15o grainers. The load that my rifle likes is 60 grains of AA 3100 and the 140's, seated .015 off the riflng, with the Fed. 210M primer and Winchester brass. I hope this info proves useful to you.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Not caliber specific, but if you are going to primarily build this rifle for elk, think light. I don't know where you are from, but these mountains are steep and the air is thin and a rifle gains weight as the day goes on.

·
Registered
209 Posts
The 280AI really shines in shorter than mag ie 24 inch barrels. I would opt for a 24-25 inch tube and have my gunsmith set the throat so I could easily touch the lands with a 140 BT. I have a 7mm Mag chamber set up that way and it works really well. If ya want a OAL of my mag with 140's let me know. The math should be easy to convert.

·
Registered
811 Posts
280AI info.....

I have been shooting a 280AI for about 7 yrs. now. The problem is that it is for 'yotes and punching paper. It is a rebarreled Rem. 700 Sendero with a varmint taper SS Pac-Nor bbl. It is not light. The bbl. length is 26" with a Holland brake on it. What the guys have said about weight and carrying ability are something you should consider. I have carried mine to call coyotes and can tell you that at 3000 feet + it becomes heavy fast. As the other contributers have said, a light contour should be considered. A 24" bbl. will get plenty of performance out of most bullets. Speed is a factor, but accuracy should be your primary objective. Any good action, blue printed, bedded and/or pillar bedded should work handily. Pick a good barrel maker, Lilja/Pac-Nor/Shilen/Hart, and go with a reasonable sporting taper. I for one prefer stainless barrels. A good gunsmith will put this together for you. Be sure to tell him what your intention for the rifle is. I load fireformed Norma cases with 56.0 gr. of IMR4831. This gets me about 3000FPS. This is my accuracy load. This may differ from your accuracy load. Also, you OAL may differ depending on the chamber length. The 280AI is a great cartridge. Very capable of taking elk/deer/moose and other game. Good luck!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input

You have given me somethings to consider. Right now I'm thinking of 22-24 inch length in a CM pac-nor #1 sporter on my 98 mauser action in a brown laminate roll over stock.I'm sure I will change my mind some before i really get rolling on it but for now i feel I'm headed in the right direction.

Thanks again,Steve

·
Registered
826 Posts
I really don't undersand your thinking............

many folks get fooled into thinking that a 280AI is just about a 7 Mag with less powder...not true.

If you are going for elk, then consider this a 7 Mag with 73g of R#25 will push a 154g Interbond at 3250 Rem brass with 215's easy in 1 minute of angle or less at 400 yards. That is some serious ass kicken medicine on any animal that you want to shoot including Moose.

Go to www.gunbroker.com and get a Remington 700 LSS for about $700 and call your custom gun a done deal, because they shoot like a house a fire with this load.

Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
811 Posts
280AI 0r 7mm mag??

Yes, the 7 mag will out perform the 280AI with larger bullets. But, size for size. The 280AI will do everything the 7 mag. will do within reason. Plus, it will not brutilize your shoulder. There is a reason the 280AI was developed. It is just plain accurate. That is not to say that the 7 mag. is not. But, if it were my buck, I would opt for the 280AI again. No regrets! Here is another tickle to tempt you with. I have been doing considerable research on a 300WSM. These are the newest rage for 1000 yard shooters. It will perform as well as the 300 Win. mag. with less powder. Will shoot 180 gr. BT with IMR 4831 @ 3000 fps. The short fat case is a real performer in the burn efficiancy. I am pondering a Rem. 700 SPS SS in the 300WSM. Add a Brockman muzzle brake. A Holland trigger kit, speedlock firing pin and spring, comp. recoil lug and carefully break the barrel in. Should be quite a performer. Plus, not real heavy and weather resistant. Just something to ponder. Good luck! Hope I haven't thrown your thoughts into a tailspin.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts