Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out last Friday with a friend and some of his family to do some ice fishing. First trip out this season for me. Fishing wasn't great but we had a good time.

On the way to the lake, friend told me that we can't keep any cutthroats due to regulations on that lake. Wouldn't you know it, all I could catch were cutts. Caught and released 4 of them. This was the largest at about 24 inches and 4 lbs.

Friend caught 1 rainbow of about 2.5 lbs. Looking forward to getting out again near the end of this week.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Donnie, when it comes to icefishing and levels of excitement you need to try dark house spearing. I like that the best. You have a big hole cut about 36 " x 18". You have a decoy (red and white, no hooks ) and when you lift the line and drop it the decoy swirled around. If your Lucky a northern pike will come. Some come in fast and just slam it you have to hang on tight or they wool rip it out I've your hand. Others just come in slow, kind a like a wolf stalking his prey, but they are off to side out of your spears range. You need to get them directly under the hole to stick the just behind the head. If they don't come in directly below the hole you have a good chance of missing them. That's a totally wild experience when he lays of to the side and just glares at it. The biggest one I stuck was 44" long and tipped the scales at 26#. I was on Lake of Woods and that day I got 3, 26#,19#, 17#. It was this time of the year and a blizzard was going, and the barometer had fallen down to 26. They were moving good.

Someday soon I too have a hankering to go out west ice fish for those big trout. That's on my bucket list. I have fished out west a couple times, but not through the ice.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Donnie, when it comes to icefishing and levels of excitement you need to try dark house spearing. I like that the best. You have a big hole cut about 36 " x 18". You have a decoy (red and white, no hooks ) and when you lift the line and drop it the decoy swirled around. If your Lucky a northern pike will come. Some come in fast and just slam it you have to hang on tight or they wool rip it out I've your hand. Others just come in slow, kind a like a wolf stalking his prey, but they are off to side out of your spears range. You need to get them directly under the hole to stick the just behind the head. If they don't come in directly below the hole you have a good chance of missing them. That's a totally wild experience when he lays of to the side and just glares at it. The biggest one I stuck was 44" long and tipped the scales at 26#. I was on Lake of Woods and that day I got 3, 26#,19#, 17#. It was this time of the year and a blizzard was going, and the barometer had fallen down to 26. They were moving good.

Someday soon I too have a hankering to go out west ice fish for those big trout. That's on my bucket list. I have fished out west a couple times, but not through the ice.
I've always wanted to try spearing. My grandfather loved it, but my dad was a strict ice fisherman only. (It was left unsaid, but I think he fell in as a kid) I figure once my kids are older I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Went out last Friday with a friend and some of his family to do some ice fishing. First trip out this season for me. Fishing wasn't great but we had a good time.

On the way to the lake, friend told me that we can't keep any cutthroats due to regulations on that lake. Wouldn't you know it, all I could catch were cutts. Caught and released 4 of them. This was the largest at about 24 inches and 4 lbs.

Friend caught 1 rainbow of about 2.5 lbs. Looking forward to getting out again near the end of this week.

Couple years back, had a similar thing happen with waleyes. Could only keep one of certain size. Wouldn't you know it, caught dozens. All over limit length. Like you said, still had a great time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts