Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what i have on my mind is 22 Dasher 8 twist for 80gr MK's .....any other idea's ?
it will be for 400 to 600 yard gun ......only looking for 22 caliber advice

·
Registered
256 Posts
Maybe a fast twist 22-250 AI ?

While I don't have experience with the fast twist version, I do have one with a 14 twist that shoots extremely well with Nosler & Berger 50 & 55 grain mollied bullets:eek: . The fast twist version should be good for another couple hundred yards with heavier bullets, and when you post the results of your experiment, maybe I'll have one built too!

Good luck with your choice & project.

http://ncvarminter.com/heavy22.htm (link with some info)

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
George,
I have one of those if you have something you want to trade. I've seen Jackie bust a bunch of eggs with it. Got dies, brass bullets & all. Wanna talk?

Rick

·
Registered
243 Posts
Long Range 22

George, James has pretty well shown that the Dashers can really shoot---don't see how you can go wrong there.

I have a 22-250 with 8" twist that does pretty well with the 80 gr MK but might chamber this barrel in Dasher.

You might want to consider a 6.5" twist so you can shoot the 90 gr MK. I fudged a little and tried the 90's in my 8" twist when the temperature was 80ºF and it was scary accurate but went sour at 60ºF----no surprise.

I'm not willing to buy a 6.5" twist barrel just to shoot the 90's but you might want to consider it if you're building a new gun.

What are you building the gun with ?

When does the line start to buy the new one ?

Good luck.

A. Weldy

·
Registered
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thats

George,
I have one of those if you have something you want to trade. I've seen Jackie bust a bunch of eggs with it. Got dies, brass bullets & all. Wanna talk?

Rick
thats a good gun i've seen it shoot eggs at 400 no sweat !
but i'll do a custom action i gess......maybe a 40x

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I`ve had a .22-6mm for abt a month now. Due to the time of year I reall haven`t plaied with it alot, but I do have acouple of different powders pushing the 80 gr MK`s over 3,500 fps. and have shot a 5 shot 1/2 in. group with it. I figure what I`ve got is good enough for fire froming cases and when it gets warmer I`ll work on accuracy.

·
Registered
515 Posts
George,I bet you'll enjoy it. I have an 8 twist 22-250 and it shoots 68-80's like a dream. I hope that you're planning on using it for paper, cause it ain't much for varmints! Heavy bullet selection for critters is difficult... everyone loves the 75 A-maxes for critters though, except me, I didn't have the luck with them that everyone else has. Keep us posted on what you decide. I've had mine for 3-4 years now and have shot various bullets with good results. What kinda throat are you looking at on the reamer?
I had the gun built to pop groundhogs past 500 yards.... I can hit them, :D just can't kill'em:eek: ... Then I built the 243 AI;) (works like a dream btw) and the 8 twist 22 has taken a back seat... Sam

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.