Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for a new pair of hunting boots for a few months now. I want leather without any nylon, and no camouflage. Waterproof. 8 to 10" with an air bob sole. I could go to a 12" but the airbob is non-negotiable. Insulation somewhere around 600grams. This would basically duplicate the boots that they are replacing. which were Redhead Bonedry 8". Unfortunately Redhead doesn't make that boot anymore.

I'm looking at these boots from Cabelas
Catalog #s YK 81-0075
YK 81-1928

One thing I wonder about is what the difference is between the 90 dollar boot and the 160 dollar boot. (please don't tell me 70 dollars)

Any and all knowledge is appreciated.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Winter boots

Just yesterday I ordered a pair of Rocky 9" Mountain Stalkers, model 7017 600 gram thinsulate, Gor-Tex. Goodyear welt construction. This is an all black leather boot, now discontinued. It has an aggressive sole. As soon as they arrive I'm headed to the shoe shop to have a lite-wt Vibram Wedge non aggessive sole installed. My Rock Eliminators still look good after 21 yrs w/original Vibram soles, but the Gore-tex failed and both started leaking. I didnt buy the new model Eliminators because they have a Non-resoleable aggressive tread which I detest, and probably some of that same material that self destructs after a certain period of time. It picks up everthing except women.

·
Registered
407 Posts
It's a subjective thing

In my opinion, it depends on what you really want and your acceptable threshold of pain (on the wallet).

Some years back, I would have suggested Rocky boots.

But since they've moved their manufacturing out of the country, the last pair I had were not good (for comfort or wear).

Don't know who is making Cabela's boots now, if it's Rocky then I'd pass on them.

Most of the boots for sale now are cheaply made, like the swarm of disposable athletic shoes on the market.

My Danner's (Fort Lewis) get used often and seem to be holding up pretty well, but I see that even Danner is having their lower-end boots made overseas now.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Das Boot

What udiablo said find a made in America boot or they won't last. Last two pairs have been Danner but like he said not all Danners are equal. Both have lasted me over 20 years and are still very servicable. Sometimes you get what you pay for these days.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
I have not bought a pair of boots or shoes by mailorder for many years now, it just seems like a guy should go somewhere where he can actually see what he is buying and try them on and check on the quality.

A good pair of hunting boots, properly cared for, should last many many years. Cleaned, oiled, put away with boot trees in, they will serve you long and well. With that in mind, I would encourage you to spend till it hurts a little, maybe a little more than that. This is one area that it doesnt pay to be cheap (OK, frugal):D

Cabelas boots are great, I have a pair that I have used for over 15 years and still as good as new, I can recommend them to you. Might be time for a Salt Lake City road trip?

·
Registered
870 Posts
Russel Moccasian Co

I have had mine close to 5 years on thier second set of soles and a few repairs for barbwire cut etc. Feet never hurt and they are custom made.

·
Registered
486 Posts
What Cpttango said,,,

I wear Redwings every day. In 48 years, I've worn out 6 or 7 pair. The pair I use for hunting will probably follow me to the grave. Try on a pair Larry, you may find that their "insole inserts" are just as good as any newfound soles.
If they get a bit worn (dont quote me here) the insoles are about $30 and Redwing will resole them for $65. If you can wear out the upper portion, well,,, your just too tough for your own good :)
The warranty is only a year but I returned a pair that was 4 years old to the local dealer for stiching that had seperated, He paid shipping both ways and Redwing repaired the boots at no cost. How could I ask for better customer service?
Jeff

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
just got a pair of Danner 8" and they are Kangaroo hide. I usually wear them around the house fro a week or so to break in. Not needed. Very comfortable and relatively light. I wanted an almost un insulated boot as opposed to my 1000 gram boots that are too hot except for standing. Danner or Redwing. Cry once, be comfortable.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I'm hard on boots and put alot of miles on every year training dogs and doing the farmin thing I go thru at least 2 pairs a year. I wear uninsulated boots, the temp varies here so much during the day and hot feet get blisters. I will never ever buy another pair of Danners after the experience I had with the last pair I bought- they leaked like a seive right out of the box and Danner wouldn't replace them after I had them on my feet twice- they offered me $50 off a new pair of $250 boots- luckily I bought them at Cabela's and they gave me a full refund. I've owned at least 10 pairs of Danners in the past 15yrs. and they don't really last any longer than boots that cost half as much.

The quality of Rockies has went downhill the past 4-5yrs.- used to be the only thing I'd wear, but they don't make a boot I really like anymore.

The Cabela's brand boots are made by a couple manufacturers- Meindl(good boots), Danner (overpriced junk IMO) and Rocky (not as good as they used to be)- if the pair your looking at is made by Meindl(they usually say who made them) go for it, they are good boots. I've got a pair of the Cabela's Pinnacle boots right now(made by Rocky I believe) that have been good boots, but I'm at the 6mo. mark and they are showing some signifigant wear and leaking - but like I said I put them thru a hell of alot of miles- most guys wouldn't put as many miles on in 5yrs. as I do in 2-3mos.

The pair I broke out for hunting season are the Irish Setter Alpine Guide boots- they are NICE- some of the most comfortable boots I've had in a long time. I'd recommend either Irish Setters- made in USA by Redwing or White's-not sure where you'd be able to pick up a pair- they are expensive, but by far some of the best boots made.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have never read a bad thing on Meindl boots...everyone seems to love em' for hunting rocky and /or wet terrain in Alaska and elsewhere...as well they should at $200.00+.

Some Danners and Red Wing models are still made in USA, and some of those respective company models are also made in China so you have to be persistent with sales people to find out on country of origin.

I mistakenly bought some Chippewa boots 3 years back that I thought were made in USA yet found out after sale (mail-order) they were made in China- these Chinese boots have held up well and have Vibram soles, but were not advertised as waterproof, no Goretex.

I will say they have been worth the $100.00 I spent...as a good summer hunting boot and are made of good quality leather/stitching.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Waterproof boots

If you have a pair of any brand boot that is constructed w/Gore-Tex and they leak, and the manufacturer will not replace them,contact WL Gore co. Their product is guranteed to the consumer for 3YR. I went this route on a pair of 10X Bibs

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I deer hunted yesterday and my ol Brownings went with me, light comfortable and Gore-Tex. Take a look at Browning, I don't think you'll be sorry.
Joe

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
The $100 I spent on my Wolverines was money very well spent. I am pretty rough on boots and they have taken the abuse. It's just like wearing slippers all day long. I can't say enough good things about them....I am due for a new pair but hate to give up the old ones that have kept my feet so comfortable for so long....More Wolverines for me.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
SRM .....try this :

Many small towns have Sporting Goods stores that have been around for decades . As you're travelling , stop and take a look . I've found NIB Boots that were made 30 years ago , and lots of other clothing too . They ain't made like that no more ! My All Leather Herman Survivor Boots with Vibram Lugs have over 25 Winters use and are still in good shape . They ain't water proof , but have been on many hikes in the snow and on Ice . The little walking I do now will probably never wear them out , but I do have a brand new pair in waiting if I need . I often stop & ask UPS Drivers about old Stores when out in the Boonies . Besides , it's fun looking thru those old Shops ! OOOps , almost forgot , my Uncle passed on a pair of Kangaroo Brownings ....don't know if they were waterproof , but I never saw such soft , comfortable Boots . Too bad they were a tad small for me .

·
Registered
75 Posts
White's 10" Hunters w/ gore tex socks will get me out of spike camp & back into base camp here in Alaska.

White's Insulated 10" Hunters hold up for 2yrs before needing rebuilding when worn 12-16 hrs of daily business for me.

$450 a pair, not for everybody,but the ONLY boots that my feet fit/go into.

Danners of various configurations won't last me thru a single sheep season.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Have had a lot of bad luck with Rockys lately. Their newer boots seem to be engineered to only last 2-4 years. I've had 3 pair in the last 10 years and the soles always seem to start coming apart after about 2 years or the glue starts coming loose, before they are worn out. Several hunting buddies have had this problem.

Anyone else seeing this?

Richard

1 - 20 of 24 Posts