Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
which weight of .22mag is the most consistant in a bolt action.
i have a pretty new marlin 883s. and rather than going thru a hundred
different weights and brands it would save me some money and time
if i could get some input from other shooters.
i shoot less than a hundred yards most of the time and i shoot small game.
ive heard some say the 40 grn is most consistant. i tend to like the heavier rounds for the smack factor.

·
Registered
687 Posts
more importantly

its about twist rate and barrel length. I dont know how many types of ammo for 22 wmr there actually are..

·
Registered
928 Posts
My experience is that with rim fires, each rifle is its own animal. You should try a few types in your rifle and feed it what it likes. Once you find something that works, buy a lot of it and put it away.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
My only 22WMR is a CZ452 American. Over the years, I have tried most commonly available WMR from CCI, Federal, Winchester and Remington in 30gr to 50gr. The 30gr and 50gr I have tried does not group as well as the 40gr. The best in rifle was the Winchester Supreme and the Remington Premiers, and grouped about 3/4 inch at 100yds on a good day. The standard Winchester 40gr silver box are very close.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
My Ruger prefers Winchester Super X , 40 Gr. Jacketed Hollow points .
I've found it to work in just about every .22mag I've used and will stay under 1" in most.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Cooper Firearms tests all of their 22 magnum rifles for accuracy using Remington's 22 Mag 33 gr Premier AccuTip-V load. It uses a 33 gr VMAX bullet that is only available in this load.

Its pretty expensive, though.

Hornady makes a VMAX .22 mag load themselves, but their loading has a 30 gr VMAX bullet design instead. But it seems like one can find it available for less money.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts