Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Frist don't chop my head off because this is not a foxpro.
This last christmas my son got his frist gun and I picked up
a Phantom mini-digital caller. It has memory sticks, this one came with
a deer stick. I had to get the predator stick- it has coyote howls, jack rabbit, cottontail, woodpecker, and rodent squeaks.

prices unit about 25 to 30 dollar and extra sound sticks 15 to 20 dollars.
sounds keep playing until hitting the mute or turning unit off. It isn't really
loud but I like the lower volume anyways.

It isn't as nice or have as many options as a foxpro but is $500.00 less too!!

I done the foxpro thing and went back to mouth calls. Nothing wrong with
foxpro but I was alway screwing with something on it to keep it working, maybe I was just to rough on it or just a bad unit--alway good customer service but I wanted demand something that works all the time.

All I am saying this could be a option without selling the frist born.

I plan to use this one with my mouth calls for backup.

·
Registered
826 Posts
The first 50 or so yotes that I killed was with.....

a table top cassette player...I think that they are 29-39$ at Radio Shack. I love the cassette tapes....lots of variety. That cassette player has been shot twice with BB's, the case is not got cracks in it and a chunk or two missing, but it still will call in an animal.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Sounds like a good plan to me.

a Phantom mini-digital caller. ...All I am saying this could be a option without selling the frist born.

Kevin,

I'm with you.
To each his own, man.

Just have fun with it and getting that son of yours involved is where the biggest part of the game is. Have fun with it.:cool:

·
Registered
321 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
a Phantom mini-digital caller. It has memory sticks, this one came with
a deer stick. I had to get the predator stick- it has coyote howls, jack rabbit, cottontail, woodpecker, and rodent squeaks.

prices unit about 25 to 30 dollar and extra sound sticks 15 to 20 dollars.
sounds keep playing until hitting the mute or turning unit off. It isn't really
loud but I like the lower volume anyways.

It isn't as nice or have as many options as a foxpro but is $500.00 less too!!

I done the foxpro thing and went back to mouth calls. Nothing wrong with
foxpro but I was alway screwing with something on it to keep it working, maybe I was just to rough on it or just a bad unit--alway good customer service but I wanted demand something that works all the time.

All I am saying this could be a option without selling the frist born.

I have a Johnny Stewart 612 that I like, but many years ago a friend of mine who is an electrical engineer put together a caller with parts that I supplied him. It was an old car cassette stero that was wired to a booster (amp?) along with a Q Beam battery and an old ships speaker horn. Back then, car stereos only had 4 wires. All but the speaker horn fit into an old lunch box left over from my sheet metal worker days. The cassette player finally gave out, so I bought the Johnny Stewart caller. The 612 cost around $189 on sale. I have considered going to a car stereo dealer and having a player installed in a box with fittings for the external speaker horn. May be cheaper. Just a thought.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Talking about cheap- any of you ever used a..

.. blade of grass between your thumbs? Or, how about a squeaker of a stuff animal? Or, just sucking between puckered lips?... :)... :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
How hard could home made be?

I've been hunting in heavy sage brush as it is the only place I know to go just now.
I've seen 3 coyotes in the last 2 trips, 2 out pretty far and one around 300 yards. I had to use the binoc's to see them and now I am thinking that hunting the heavy sage, a guy might WANT to use an electronic caller. It's starting to look like I need to call and glass at the same time and that's getting too busy with holding the binoc's with both hands, the gun and trying different calls and so on.
I have plenty of calls in mp3 format on this computer and they could easily be put on my mp3 player.
I'm thinking a cord from the mp3 to an amp where i'm at, then wire out about 50 feet to a horn speaker.
If you guys think this can work, what and where would a person find a small amp, how much wattage and what kind of speaker horn?
I'm thinking most likely a scooter (motorcycle!) gel battery which would be 12 volts.
I didn't want to get too far from the mouth call and the satisfaction of "speaking" to them, but I'm afraid these guys are either educated, (I know they are well fed judging by all the rabbit and mice sign) or they are able to use the cover and sneak up on me until they figure out the program.
If I was in a wide open field, I 'd stick with the mouth units.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Go to Varmint Al,s site (Great Site)and have a look at the coyote hunting section and scroll down to the EL-Cheapo caller, It works and will save you alot of trial and error.More time to hunt.
Good Luck

·
Registered
726 Posts
BassPro has the new Johnny Stewart PreyMaster™ PM-3 Digital Game Caller on sale.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/cata...arClassCode=6&hvarSubCode=9&hvarTarget=browse

Dang.....long URL.... hope it works:eek:

Hey...just checked in on Preview...It Works!!!!:D

I'm thinking on one of these myself.

The problem with that caller, like some others on the market, is that it forces you to use proprietary memory cards that you can only buy from the vendor, in order to get new sounds.

To me, it makes much better sense to have a caller that is more generic, in terms of how you can add new sounds to it. With this system, you have to pay another $20 for each additional memory card with another 4 sounds. And you can only buy sounds from them, and cannot use any other source.

And once that model gets discontinued, you could find yourself totally out of luck in being able to buy new sounds for it. So I would say that this product is definitely planned obsolescence at work.

Even a generic CD player based system would be better than this, in my opinion.

Lance in Orygun

·
Registered
568 Posts
Like Lance in OR said, a generic CD player is perfect as long as it is capable of playing CDs & MP3s burnt on ones home computer. This is the way to go for those (including myself) that just can't seem to dole out the cash for a new FoxPro. I have been using a ancient JVC compact CD player and a amplified speaker and it works wonders for everything but coyotes:mad: so far. It is programmable and came with a wireless remote and and will last a full day playing on a set of high quality rechargeable batteries. sound clips are all over the internet and cds of many animals sounds are available at the greenie earth loving nature type stores in the malls.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.