Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
howdy,
might purchase a savage 40 varmint in 22 hornet. does anyone have one? and if so, how does it shoot? thanks in advance.....dan

·
Registered
46 Posts
Savage 40

Dan, I do have one in the Model 40, As far as shooting I have never shot it at paper but it shoots minute of prarie dog extremely well. I had a Nikon Buckmaster mounted on it when I bought it, bore sighted and never have had the need to shoot paper. I killed about 20 prarie dogs, 3 coyotes, 10 jackrabbits and a badger before I even had a miss with it. All I have shot in it are the 35 gr v-max backed up with lil gun and I see no need to seek anything further. It is a nice feeling rifle and lays on bags as well as the big guns. If you are thinking of purchasing one go for it. Dogsgone

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I have a Mod 40 and love it.

Dan,
I bought one in April and I'm sure glad I did. I love it. It feels good. It looks good. It shoots good. I've killed bunches of groundhogs with mine and I expect to kill bunches more. I switched from the 40 gr V-Max pills over Lil-Gun powder to the similarly jacketed 50 gr V-Max over Lil-Gun. I have a good supply of the 50 grainers and thought "why not". I was/am very pleased with the results. Most chucks just fall over as if hit with lightning. If this works, here are a couple pics.

Another:

Yet another:

If you need any additional info, yell.
Bill............

·
Registered
177 Posts
Savage Model 40

howdy,
might purchase a savage 40 varmint in 22 hornet. does anyone have one? and if so, how does it shoot? thanks in advance.....dan
I got one this summer, It shot groupes at 3/8 to 1/2 in. But the groups where 35 in. to the right. I put on 4 different scopes and one target scopes with out side adjustments. Got it to 4 in. from comming in to the X at 100 Yds. Called Savage and shippied it back free. They put on a new barrel, I marked the 1 st. barrel. Came back and shot 20 in. to the left, It came into 2in. pass the right of the X this time. I put Z rings on it and got more adjustments now. It will still shoot under 1 /2 in. I never shot it since. But its a good shooter, This is the 3 rd. one I know of that shot like this. Savage did a good job of taking care of it. Smokemjoe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts