Varmint Hunters Forum banner

Infra-Red Flashlight Questions

2K views 22 replies 5 participants last post by  Kermit in Va. 
#1 ·
When I got the ATN X-Sight 2 a couple years ago, it came with an infra-red flashlight. I’m not sure what brand the light is. It works OK but goes through batteries like crazy. It takes 2 of the Lithium 123 batteries and only lasts for an hour or so with continuous use, even quicker on the brightest setting. I have some rechargeables for it but it seems like they only last about half as long as store-bought disposables. Is this normal ? If so, I will learn to live with it but if there is a better light or battery option, I would like to hear about it.

See less See more
#2 ·
Mine came with a light very much like that one. It started killing batteries even if it was off and I noticed the led had a slight very faint glow that I couldn't see unless it was dark. Something was shorted inside and it finally quit all together. I did buy the ATN IR850 when I bought the light as well. It uses the 18650 batteries and works a shit ton better. I would use the small light for scanning and fire up the bigger one when getting ready to shoot. I seen some on ebay as well that use the 18650 battery you might investigate some of those as well.

#3 ·
Carl get you a Surefire TLR-1 Infrared light which clips on a regular rail
Just be sure you specify an IR version as they make regular ones also.
Mine uses 2 of those same batteries, but they last hours and hours.

It has a rocker switch which one way, it stays ON and the other way is a burst that you release and it goes OFF. Nice feature.

I have heard this from a couple other folks. Mine would last all winter back when I was using it a lot, and it will light up the whole country.
Thermal Scopes use a lot of "Juice" but they are worth it.

#4 ·
Thanks for eliminating the confusion JR. You posted something a couple weeks ago and mentioned the TLR-1. I looked it up and it just looked like a regular flashlight to me. Gonna be shopping for one this weekend.

#7 ·
Yeah. I always confuse Streamlight and Surefire.
Be SURE to specify IR if you order one. They are expensive, but they really light things up with a NV scope.
When I first got it, I turned it on and said: " crap, that won't light up nuthing,"
But i was wrong

#8 ·
Thanks for the information JR !

The new light showed up today and it is a HUGE improvement over the other one I had. It is much smaller and seems to shine more light exactly where I need it. My old light pivoted and would be knocked off-center with the least little bump. I also like the momentary switch feature. I’m anxious to see what kind of battery life I get out of it.

#9 ·
I like the looks of that light. The one that came with my scope was small. I ordered the ATN IR850 pro and it is pretty big and heavy. With the scope, lights mounted on my 16" AR and it is a heavy bitch to lug around.
Space Cylinder 3d modeling Spacecraft Silver

It has an adjustable mount that is pretty sloppy and not very good. The light works well but is huge. I may have to spring for one of the streamlights.

#10 ·
Carl, I'm glad you are happy with the light, when I recommend something I am always concerned that the person will not like it.
These lights really make a huge difference on a Black Dark night. The darker it is the better they work.
My batteries lasted a whole winter when I was using it a lot. Use the momentary ON 90% of the time.

#12 ·
Sorry, cant help much. Shane can answer that, but Thermal scopes have came down to where they are doable. Kinda. There are some for 2G and some for 6G. If you want to see a good one, YouTube videos Trijicon. Friend here has one gave $2800 for and it's good nuff but you get what you pay for.
My scope is NV not Thermal but you can see very well with it using IR. Darker the night the better you can see. Very addictive hobby.

#14 ·
With a NV scope you must have darkness where you are sitting and not even a light from a heater behind you. The darker the better, but I think a red light from a nearby shooter wouldnt bother you.
The only serious problem is with a NV scope using IR, any mist or fog in the air will shut you down fast. IR reflects big time.

#15 ·
Yes if it is snowing much at all the snow flakes reflect and just wash everything else out for the most part. Rain and fog is just as bad.
ATN has the new base model Thermal scopes that don't record or have any of the fancy stuff for a decent price but not sure how good they are. I believe they start around $1200.

I'll get out here soon and fire my scope up and shine my red led light around and video it and get it uploaded and post it here.

Also Sightmark has the Wraith series scopes out that are just a little bit cheaper on the NV.

#16 ·
I know I talk too much on this topic when it comes up, but I just want folks to get involved in it. It is Amazing to be out THERE when the Coyotes are just messin around acting like Dogs instead of Coyotes.
I waited way to long to buy a NV scope (65) when I retired. I went out for over a Year and killed a lot of Coyotes. I got injured one night and wasn't able to hunt any more that winter.
Then, I was wary of going out alone in the middle of the night and no one know where I was. JB home asleep.
I hunted over bait for several more months and really had fun w that. I had a Red Fox that I named Felix who came every night. Then I had a big Tom Bobcat that came a lot; really enjoyed messin with him...he did the same things a housecat would do.
I have had Deer walk right up to me 10 ft. away and stare.
I still get fired up sometimes and go after one that I can't get a shot at. It is actually LEGAL here now to use a Rifle and whatever else at Nighttime. Maybe not as much fun now?

Bering Optics has a Thermal scope for less than $2500 that is pretty dang good. You pay more you get more resolution.

#17 ·
On a dark, clear night it is amazing what all you can see out there. My son got me started on the NV thing. He had a monocular and we would spend hours just looking around in the woods. You would see critters 20 feet away from you that otherwise you wouldn’t even know were there. Snow, mist, and heavily-wooded areas are frustrating because the IR reflects off of them and makes It impossible to see beyond it. I bought my ATN used and all I’ve done is used It for pest control. I need to put an SD card in it and figure out how to take pictures and videos like Shane.
It can be paired via Bluetooth or WiFi to an iPad or smartphone so when My son and I are out, we can watch, on our phone, what the other is seeing through the scope.

#19 ·
I went out tonight and bagged a coyote and got vid with shining a red led light with the IR off.

And here is the coyote I shot. I was trying to get my focus dialed in as she was picking at a chunk of pig carcass they had drug out into the field. Shot was right at 200 yards with my AR. Little bit of shaky here and there trying to get it focused in and some scanning after the shot. I just looked and noticed my firmware is out of date so that might help some.

#21 ·
Great Job Shane. Another Dead Coyote on the ground.
Y'all see how unconcerned that Coyote was at Nighttime....it knows it's safe. Charlie, you would be out ever night after a kill like that one.

#22 ·
I thought she might move in closer but she was too busy picking meat off the carcass out there. In that video you can also spot some eyes in the fencerow behind her which was probably a raccoon.
Thermal would flat out be bad for coyotes if I could afford one....maybe I'll sell a car!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.