Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm just playing out back trying to stay sharp and getting ready for the VFS matches in the upcoming season. I've been shooting the 6PPC and I'm out of N-133 & 8208. What other AVAILABLE powders work well? I'm shooting a 68 grain bullet. H-322 or A2015? any others? Possible starting points? Thanks, Sam

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Definitely H322, Sam.

Somewhere around here I have Glenn Newick's book on benchrest shooting. Somewhere in there he says the first load he always tries is always 26.5gr of H322, .010 off the lands. Good luck.

Sid

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ollie, you got some of Allen's bullets? Boy they shoot great don't they? He lives about 4 miles from me... Where are you from? Sam

·
Registered
131 Posts
I am using 27 grs of H322 with a Gentner bullet shooting a Cooper rifle. We had a shoot this weekend with everyone using Cooper rifles. The competition was a 3 shot group at 100, 200, and 300 yds. To the winner of each distance won $80. I came in second at each distance with a .179, 432, and a .721 respectively. A different person won each event so no one had a real shooter.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Sam, yea they shoot great. I got a chance to shoot with alan at the hog roast last year. He's good and a realy nice guy. It was like a 2 day shooting school. I live 25 miles east of pittsburg.
Ollie

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Ollie & Sid, I got the 322 and wow, with 27.3 grains this thing has taken off like a house a fire, I got lucky and its tuned to cut the wind with minimal holdover.... I'm having a blast playing out back... Thanks, Sam

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
He's an excellent shooter as well as a very good gunsmith. I've learned alot from him. He built my laserbeam 243AI... man that gun shoots!
Sounds like he won plenty of wood at the Manatee match!
Sam

·
Registered
131 Posts
I knew you would like it with the H332 in it. What bullet are you using? I found the 55 gr Blitzking does well in my Ruger MKII (3400 fps) but I have never tried them in the Cooper.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm shooting a friends 68 grain bullet that measures .2433 & .2435 very accurately. I may do some load development again with the 55's for 300 yard critter shooting. I mainly was trying to find a powder that is readily available so I can practice for the Varmint for score matches. So far the 322 is working fine. I have shot the 55's at varmint before out of it, but it's been a while. Thanks for your help, Sam

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for the suggestions MS, my friend has the 133 & 8208 and it shoots fine, I'm just finding my own powder so I won't run him out before hsi match season starts up. Thanks for your help. Sam

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
Hey Sam, here's an idea

The Kelby's Super Shoot will be coming up before too long. So, save up
your funds, jump in tha truck and I bettcha you can load tha truck with
all the N133 you want/need at that event. And, I have never been, but,
I sure would like to go sometime, if for no other reason than to look at
the eqipment and survey the neat things for sale (and all kinds of relaoding
supplies). Good luck with the H322, cause that is what most of the shooters
shot before there N133 came into the picture.

·
Registered
189 Posts
N133 Powder

Hey guys, I'm just playing out back trying to stay sharp and getting ready for the VFS matches in the upcoming season. I've been shooting the 6PPC and I'm out of N-133 & 8208. What other AVAILABLE powders work well? I'm shooting a 68 grain bullet. H-322 or A2015? any others? Possible starting points? Thanks, Sam
Sam,

Have you checked with Clarke Bros in Warrenton? I picked up 10 pounds of N133, from them, about 3 weeks ago, for my 6PPC.

BTW, where do you shoot VFS?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I went 1 time to the Black Creek match and was nervous as a prostitute in church, but had a blast! Came in 3rd, 250 15X's. I shoot with Wallace Browning- neighbor- down the road. I'm a varmint hunter at heart, and just a wanna be BR shooter at best, I really don't have the time or $$ necessary to be competitive. I got frustrated last year, got myself together now and plan on making some of the blackcreek matches. Gilbert & Wallace keep trying to get me to come to Fairfax... we'll see.. Thanks for the tip on Clark Bros. I hear you're a pretty good shooter yourself! Sam

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Don, I'd love to go! My buddy Wallace goes every year... he says thats the place to get powder, primers, guns, & gadgets. I'd love to do it sometime! I can get him to get me some powder there and NO hazmat fee.... I was just looking for some powder close by so I can play between now & then... Sam

·
Registered
189 Posts
I went 1 time to the Black Creek match and was nervous as a prostitute in church, but had a blast! Came in 3rd, 250 15X's. I shoot with Wallace Browning- neighbor- down the road. I'm a varmint hunter at heart, and just a wanna be BR shooter at best, I really don't have the time or $$ necessary to be competitive. I got frustrated last year, got myself together now and plan on making some of the blackcreek matches. Gilbert & Wallace keep trying to get me to come to Fairfax... we'll see.. Thanks for the tip on Clark Bros. I hear you're a pretty good shooter yourself! Sam
KC puts on a great match there at Black Creek, doesn't he. I really enjoy shooting at his range and it usually treats me pretty good.
You should come on up to the matches at Fairfax Rod & Gun Club (in Manassas VA), it's a nice range and the benches are top notch.

I've shot with Mr. Browning several times. It's easy to spot his rifle, isn't it? Let's see if I can attach a familiar picture:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.