Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figure it is me BUTT what is the REAL purpose of all the lighted reticles-are they needed , or just ? Seems like everytime I find a scope that I like it is only available with IR

Thanx,
Jim

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Personally, I think it depends on the purpose/use for the scope, the situation and the reticle. Also, as you get older and your eyesight degrades, the IR can help in some situations. For pure target work, with a mostly white target almost anything works for me, but if you have a very fine reticle and try to use it in a forest or normal hunting type situation, it can be tough to see the reticle. Having the IR then really helps see the target. For me, a coarser reticle also helps in that situation. If you need to shoot in a darker hours of day, especially in a 'defensive situation', the IR is almost mandatory then. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Personally, I think it depends on the purpose/use for the scope, the situation and the reticle. Also, as you get older and your eyesight degrades, the IR can help in some situations. For pure target work, with a mostly white target almost anything works for me, but if you have a very fine reticle and try to use it in a forest or normal hunting type situation, it can be tough to see the reticle. Having the IR then really helps see the target. For me, a coarser reticle also helps in that situation. If you need to shoot in a darker hours of day, especially in a 'defensive situation', the IR is almost mandatory then. Just my opinion.
SPOT-ON (as usual).

OP: Hunting elk on a cloudy day near end of shooting hours, I saw...could just see (a better phrase) a nice bull standing among the trees in some dark timber. The black cross hairs of my Leupold scope blended into oblivion against the darkness - making it more difficult to place a shot. Boy! What I wouldn't have given for a nice lighted reticule just then!

·
Registered
489 Posts
I have Leupold VX-6 and VX-R with Firedots.

I used the VX-R on a bear hunt in Canada. Dark, rainy day. We were under very heavy conifers. Trying to pick out a black reticule on a black animal at dark under those conditions was impossible. The Firedot was easy to see.

The Firedot is like a spare tire, life jacket, or fire extinguisher. You seldom need them, but when you do nothing else works.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I have to agree, they are worthwhile when needed! I am finding more of my scopes lately have "IR". It usually does not cost much more, but worth the price of a solid gold battery when needed. I also love them if hunting where snap shots in woods might be a possibility. Of course on a coon rifle.... it makes me wonder why I haven't used them long ago!

Steven

1 - 6 of 6 Posts