Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and I think I'm gonna get sick. The good old 700BDL is down to like 5 calibers! The 1100 Classic Field series is gone (and I was thrilled to see that when it came out). The 17 Remington is all but dropped (except the LVSF), the 222 Remington is now only offered in the 799 (which I won't buy). Seems like they just went through and gutted their product line. The 11-87 Premier is gone too, and I'm sorry to see that. 332 over/under, gone. 504 rimfire bolt gun, gone. With the exception of some 17 Fireball or another, there's next to nothing there for me to buy, cause it's almost all stuff that I have or have something very similar, like there's just no imagination there or something. I'm particularly disgusted with the 222 situation, cause it can't possibly cost that much to produce them, just keep the production numbers down a bit to keep excess inventory from building up. I mean, all they'd have to do would be use a 222 Reamer in some barrels instead of a 223, right. Okay, rant off, I'm just a bit disappointed right now.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Not to worry...

and I think I'm gonna get sick. The good old 700BDL is down to like 5 calibers! The 1100 Classic Field series is gone (and I was thrilled to see that when it came out). The 17 Remington is all but dropped (except the LVSF), the 222 Remington is now only offered in the 799 (which I won't buy). Seems like they just went through and gutted their product line. The 11-87 Premier is gone too, and I'm sorry to see that. 332 over/under, gone. 504 rimfire bolt gun, gone. With the exception of some 17 Fireball or another, there's next to nothing there for me to buy, cause it's almost all stuff that I have or have something very similar, like there's just no imagination there or something. I'm particularly disgusted with the 222 situation, cause it can't possibly cost that much to produce them, just keep the production numbers down a bit to keep excess inventory from building up. I mean, all they'd have to do would be use a 222 Reamer in some barrels instead of a 223, right. Okay, rant off, I'm just a bit disappointed right now.
This is why God made CUSTOMS;) So, now you have the perfect excuse to give ol Larry Scott a call, buy one of his Rem actions, Send it off to Hart for truing and a shiny new barrel in caliber of you choice, Richard Franklin has oodles of beautiful stocks, back to L Scott for a 2 oz Jewell (only $155!!), and come join us at the 300 and 400 yard benches in May!!:D :D

All kiddin' asside, if what you say is true, it sounds like Rem is being run by the bean counters (no offense, Sid;) ) and have turned a deaf ear to the shooting public. I thought with the 17 Fireball things might have turned for the good. But, if their on-line catalog is complete (and it might not be!), then reading between the lines would leave one to believe they're going down for the second time...Sad.

But, hey! R U gonna drag yer over-worked butt to KY this year???? We need ya, buddy!

P.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Dang it

I shot Winchesters all my life, since wandering on to this board and reading all about Remingtons and Winchester going Tango Uniform, I finally got into Remingtons and now look what happens. Maybe it's just me, maybe I'm a curse. Dang, dang, dang. Well I guess Paul's right, customs from now on.

Molon Labe

Kim

·
Registered
446 Posts
The big Q..

will Beretta own Remington before this years end, or next? :eek:

Tom (Aceball) Mc

·
Registered
488 Posts
Once again, if you want a 260 you have to buy one of their lower end rifles. No respect for one of the best calibers out there.

I do kinda like the Stainless CDL with the fluted barrel.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
NOw that I've slept on it

I still think it sucks. Here's probably my biggest beef. You can't buy a wood stocked sporter weight 223, 22-250, 204 ruger, etc. If they'd deleted those options in the BDL and transferred them to the CDL, I'd have said, "OK, folks are tired of the 60's-ish styling of the BDL, and the CDl is now the flagship." But that ain't what happened. It's more like anything that wasn't over-the top popular was dropped, or offered in just one rifle, like the 260, 17 Rem, 222. I hate to come online and flame 'em, cause I'm a Remmy nut, but I think they need a real wake-up call in the boardroom. That 504 was a heck of a rifle, I thought. I know I love mine.

And Paul, My best intentions are to be at the BBB this year, and hopefully I won't get shot down like I did last year, cause I really wanted to be there, BAD. And you're right, I may have to go custom from now on to get where I wanna be with my rifles.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Interesting

how I look at the new line-up and see it as an improvement. I guess it's because all of the "dropped" models hold no interest for me. What I do like is Remington is bringing out my beloved 17MK4, excuse me, 17Fireball. Brass, dies, and components will abound :) . Takes guts to go down that road and all us small caliber shooters will benefit. How about all those "un-catelogued" versions that will soon start popping up? :rolleyes: You know the boys at Scheels, Acusport, Jerry,s are all looking at their own un-catelogued models. Also all the options in their Varmint line, looks like they've doubled with everything from new Synthetics, Camo'ed, and thumbhole stocked options? Varmint stocked SPS's with full bottom metal? I for one think they've made more agressive changes to accomadate the sport shooter than any other "American Made" firearm manufacturer. Go Big Green! :D

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
This is what happens when bean counters get control

of a good gun company. They don't know jack about guns, or what people want. All they know are numbers. I'm betting that the numbers for the .222 were way down, hence it's new standings. Not at all easy to like this kind of stuff but one can understand it I guess. They can't afford to make what isn't selling.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Uh-oh..

cause I'm a Remmy nut
.. You used one of those words that annoy the extremely anal retentive amongst us.. Now yer gonna get it.. Hehehe..

.. Kidding aside, I have a friend that works over at Remington.. The insight provided is very interesting.. I wouldn't fret what the product line offers.. There's only a few thousand options for ya if ya want really something and enough parts to last for a good long while.. This search took about 2 minutes.. Screw it on your action, check headspace and go.. Good luck.!! d:^) Jake

http://cgi.ebay.com/Remington-700-222-Rem-Barrel_W0QQitemZ330067931408QQihZ014QQcategoryZ31709QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
I may have to go custom from now on to get where I wanna be with my rifles.
Well, once you go down that path...there is no hope for your wallet:D . You will be flat amazed at how much more accurate a custom rig is compared to most factory rigs, and from then on you will be looking down the road to your next custom...and the next...and the next...TRUST ME!!

p.

·
Registered
460 Posts
But Imported Mauser 98's ???

I like the Mauser's I have, but... I'm still trying to get used to the 700.

2 of my best guns are on 722's.

·
Registered
294 Posts
This is from the company that came up with two of most accuracy rounds ever made, 6 BR & 22BR, and have never made a production rifle in those cals, only from the custom shop. You have a custom gun built for what a 40X new will cost.

Mark

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Old 700s

If you like the old Remington 700s , just go to the next big Show or to a good Local Dealer , there are tons around in any condition that you might want . Just be patient and look carefully .... lots of gems out there .

·
Registered
57 Posts
Non-catalog offerings

Remington has been big into offering "special" run products. The ADL series was available long after it was gone from the catalog, and other offerings never expected just "show up".
So there's hope (sorta) that something cool or different may showup.
(my LVSF 7-08 never saw a catalog page...)

·
Registered
256 Posts
We are all responsible for the decline in the American firearms industry.. In the last 5 years I have only bought 1 new gun, a Tarus 24/7 but have bought 30 or more used guns. If there was a demand new Remington 700's in 222 Remington, 35 Whelen, 257 Roberts, 260 Remington they would be making them. If a company does not make a profit they will go the way of Winchester.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Again, with no offense to Sid,

Remington has been owned by the most extreme sect of "*******" for 10 or more years. In the mid 90's they were bought by a Wall Street investment banking firm, CDR. Cash is King, product or people aren't.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Paul has hit the nail square on the head!.......

the first custom that you have built where the gunsmith puts on a top name brand barrel, with a minimum spec reamer, will blow your mind....no regrets!

·
Registered
693 Posts
597 LS HB in 22 mag?

I just looked at the product list for rimfire...
I did not see the 597 in 22 magnum... are they still making these???? Mine was stolen and I want another (new) one...
Steven

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My last post on this before I try to move on in life ;-)

I called them up today, and got the lady that was apparantly having a bad day. My first question was all this stuff really dropped, yes it was. My next question, will we see 223, 22-250, etc in the CDL, I got a "maybe in a special run, those won't be announced until April or May or so." And my last question about the manufacture of the 798 and 799, was told that they are imported as parts, and assembled and stocked in Mayfield, Kentucky. So I feel a little better about that. sort of. Anyway, that was the end of our chat, as she apparantly didn't wanna talk to me anyway.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts