Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have succumbed once again, to the CZ-itis bug. I picked up a 512 American in .22 WMR, a cartridge I have a hate/hate relationship with. This is WMR #3, and I have yet to be happy with the way any of them shoot. I don't know why I keep trying to get one to shoot.

I have a 512 in .22LR that will shoot bugeyes at 50 yards, so I thought I'd maybe try this one and see if I can get it to shoot, too. So far, it's just getting broken-in, but it seems to like Hornady 30gr. VMaxes fairly well. It seems to strongly dislike the CCI 40gr. MaxiMags, but time will tell. I DO know it's fun to shoot and handles really well. I stuck a Burris FFII on it, but I think I'll be swapping that scope for a VX-1 3-9X soon, I just like Leupolds better, and that Leupold is NIB and already on my shelf.

If nothing else, maybe it will finally cure my WMR bug and get me to switch back to my .22 Hornet.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Glenn, my CZ452 American in 22WMR likes the Remington Express 33gr and the Winchester Supreme 34gr the best, like 3/4" for 5 at 100yds. Never had any luck with any CCI in WMR. It is an older one, I bought it the day of 9/11.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glenn, my CZ452 American in 22WMR likes the Remington Express 33gr and the Winchester Supreme 34gr the best, like 3/4" for 5 at 100yds. Never had any luck with any CCI in WMR. It is an older one, I bought it the day of 9/11.

Dang, Rick, your rifle has expensive tastes, the only pricey load it doesn't like is the RWS, which you probably couldn't find to try anyway!:D Those two loads you mentioned are still cataloged, but pretty much nonexistent on local shelves.

I took the new 512M out this morning, and it is settling down now and shooting those Hornady 30VMaxes in a very suitable manner, AND the 40 CCIs are coming around, too. I gotta say that I'm liking it more and more every time I pull the trigger. The two 512s maybe very well be the smoothest two .22 autoloaders I've ever shot (yes, including Doug's 10/22s). There's nothing to criticize about them, they just shoot well and happily, they use the magazines for the 455s, which I already have in abundance.
They aren't pretty, but they sure do shoot.:D

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Glenn, glad the 512M is working out okay. The 452 in 22WMR doesn't get shot much, but I bought a bunch of the black box Supreme back in the good old days (BO, Before Obama) for $6 a box of 50. I shoot more Hornet than WMR.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
I've NO experience with WMR on critters. I guess I just figured "anything a 22LR could do, a WMR could do better!"

A 22LR is/was a slaughter house round for cattle, but that isn't legitimate proof of it as a practical round to take 700# critters. So, my question is, what size critters or at what range limits do y'all say the 22 WMR is a practical caliber choice?

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
It does smack with much more authority, and not as nearly as much as noise as a CF. As I recall, a 22 WMR has as much energy at 100 yds as a 22lr has at the muzzle.

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
I've NO experience with WMR on critters. I guess I just figured "anything a 22LR could do, a WMR could do better!"

A 22LR is/was a slaughter house round for cattle, but that isn't legitimate proof of it as a practical round to take 700# critters. So, my question is, what size critters or at what range limits do y'all say the 22 WMR is a practical caliber choice?
Hey, Rooster, I hear some guys have trouble killing cattle even with something WAAAAAY bigger than .22LR. Any experience with that? :D

City Boy

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
I think of the .22 LR as a squirrel/cottontail round and the WMR as a Jack, coon and possum round. Coyote too if you can get close enough.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After about three months of shooting this 512M, it's come around pretty nicely with the CCI 40gr. HPs. It will shoot 3/4" at 50 yards, at least until the barrel gets hot, then it gets better! :)

It handles quite well, though not as well as the Ruger American SS it is replacing. I left two Ruger American rifles with my nephews in Missouri, as they will get more use out of them than I will.

I'm liking this thing more and more as I use it. Even the trigger is slicking up a bit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts