Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Being winter and the match season is going to start up in a month or so (followed shortly thereafter by the time to shoot at small furry things), I got busy doing a general clean up. In the process of going thru things, I noticed my dies were (once again) dirty as all get out. Talking bottleneck centerfire rifle case dies here, just for the record. .223 Rem, 6mm BR, .243 Win, .308 Win, that kind of stuff.

Generally speaking, I tumble in crushed walnut media (local gunstore has pretty decent prices on some stuff; probably too fine but it work well). Somehow that fine dust from the tumbling + case lube is winding up as gunk all over the inside of my dies. Seating as well as sizing.

I've recently started blowing the cases off w/ compressed air before putting them in the 'clean, need processed' bucket (air compressor is out in the detached garage w/ the vibratory tumbler for noise reasons). Starting to look like that might not be 'clean enough'. Also starting to look like I'm going to have to figure out some way to clean lube and whatnot off the cases between sizing and priming/charging/seating. Given the volume loaded in some calibers (.223 Rem), wiping each one down by hand isn't really a viable option.

Any ideas or bits of wisdom you feel like kicking in, let's hear it!

Thanks,

Monte

·
Registered
519 Posts
Here is what I do

I have a couple of old towels (bath size) that I use. Once I have the cases out of the tumbler I pour a bunch 25 or so on the towel, spay it with a mist of water (use a refilable spray bottle), then fold part of the towel over the top of the cases and roll them back and forth. It seems to get most of the stuff off, based on how quickly the towel gets dirty. Not the fastest system when I have several hundred cases to do but seems to work well.

Very interested in hearing what others do with this as I too was getting dirty dies and don't like the idea of resizine cases with media on them and risk scratching dies.

·
Registered
211 Posts
#2-Here's What I Do

I have some Walnut Media but really don't use it unless have very hard clean work to do. Also have used the Lyman Green Cob stuff, it cleans great ,but seems to leave film. To remove that or lube fm sizing work , I have an extra Tub for vibrator tumbler, in it I use plain fine grind corn cob media to remove and give final polish to case before starting the reload process. If cases have been deprimed pror to this I will check flash holes, but I only 1 or 2 flash holes that have media in them out of 100 . Now my seperator is rotating basket type which gives a vigorous tumble. I don't think that really answers the ??? bout the Dust in side tho. May still have to blow that out. I don't seem to have that problem with just the Fine Cob media. Hope this Helps. My 2¢. Russ.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Take a paper towel and tear it into strips about 1.5 inches widexlength. Toss 2 or 3 of these strips into your tumbler while you are cleaning your brass. The dust adheres to the strips. The strips also wipe down the gunk on the inside of your tumbler bowl. REsult is less dust on your brass and a cleaner tumbler. Toss 'em out and replace when they get too dirty for you to stand.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I do what acpchuck describes: a towel rolled into a tube with the brass inside. But I moisten the towel with rubbing alcohol instead of water.

Dump cases onto the moist towel (you can do 100+ of .223 size) then roll the towel in a tube. Grab both ends of the tube and "slosh" the brass from end to end inside. Hold one end of the towel over a bucket and let go - nice clean brass pours out, and the alcohol evaporates in a few minutes.

It still is smart to give your dies a good squirt of aerosol cleaner/degreaser every 500 rounds of loading or so. No need to disassemble them more than once a year as long as you use a long squirt tube on the degreaser and insert it well up near the neck inside the die. PROTECT YOUR EYES!

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Is it a bad idea to just flush the tumbled cases in a bucket of water? I do that and spread them out on a glass table to dry in the sun. Is that not a good thing to do?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.